COBOL and EBCDIC conversion to ASCII

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
brianp

COBOL and EBCDIC conversion to ASCII

Post by brianp »

Hi, I'm sorry this must be a very simple question (I'm no programmer), but here's the deal. I have 2 files (about 7 gigs of data) that I need to convert from EBCDIC to ASCII; there's another file (about 1-2 gigs) saved in .txt format ath I'm assuming is already in ASCII but I don't know. Some of the fields, supposedly, are also packed (COMP or COMP-3) using COBOL. I can't get any info on which fields are and which are not. Anyways, the convert feature on Salamander won't work for either of the three files. The program runs and once complete the converted file just disappears; I can't find it anywhere on my Comp. I'm not sure if this is a result of the added step of COBOL or simply a minor bug.

I've also tried "Unpacking" the data to take care of COBOL fields, but I'm sort of lost in all the plug-in options.

So...what should I do? Sorry, this isn't very descriptive.

Thanks in advance. i really need to figure this out!

Brian
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: COBOL and EBCDIC conversion to ASCII

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Did you use the Files > Convert command on focused file? Did you chose coding conversion using Convert button?

You should see temporary .tmp file in the same directory while conversion is running. Then this temporary file is moved to the original name so file is converted "in place".
ascollier

Re: COBOL and EBCDIC conversion to ASCII

Post by ascollier »

I'm having this same issue. I can't find the converted file once the conversion finishes running. Any suggestions?