Changes to environment on RDC reconnect

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
wqw

Changes to environment on RDC reconnect

Post by wqw »

Hi,

I have this weird problem with x86 Salamander on x64 servers when using Remote Desktop -- when I leave Salamander running and disconnect from server and later reconnect is seems like some variables from salamand.exe environment are mysteriously deleted. Here is a screenshot of the diff of "c:>set > out.txt" from shell spawned from Salamander (Ctrl+/)

The troubles is that x86 ADO/OLE DB dll (for data access) are registered with %CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\System\ado\msado15.dll in InprocServer keys (weird decision on part of Microsoft) so most of our database management scripts fail spectacularly if run from Slamander spawned shell.

This is reproducable on 2.54 (and previous) and latest x86 3.0 Beta1. Note that x64 does not exhibit same behavior, so it somewhat alleviates the pain now.

cheers,
</wqw>
therube

Re: Changes to environment on RDC reconnect

Post by therube »

Is this a new occurrence?
(I could be totally off, but seem to recall an optional RDC change in the latest patch Tuesday updates?)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

That's it! Me too! I've been having the problem for some years. Suspected Salamander after RDC, but never knew it was environment variables on x64.
As said, 2.54 has the issue as well.
Would be great if this could be fixed in 3.0, now that it's reproducible.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

The problem is not related to Remote Desktop. You can reproduce it just with changing Windows environment variables (x86 Salamander on x64 Windows 7).

Salamander is monitoring environment variables changes and trying to reload new variables (we love this feature).
There is some problem in the reloading function. Thank you for reporting it, we will try to find some solution.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Fixed
nordman

Post by nordman »

Have this issue in 2.54, too.
After some time env var "CommonProgramFiles(x86)" disapeared in a shell created by salamander. This is somehow anoying, since tools started therein do not work after that at all.
I have to
- restart Salamander
- restart shell
- restart tool(s)
until it happens again...
Is there any workaround in 2.54?
Maybe switching off the feature of automatically reloading env vars?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

This problem is fixed in Altap Salamander 3.0. We don't plan to support version 2.54, please switch to 3.0.

Related problem: http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?t=7438