Problem with external CD-rw drive

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
sachem

Problem with external CD-rw drive

Post by sachem »

I've been Using salamander152 withg an external PikaOne Ripcase CD burner and find that the amount of freespace shown at the top of the panel is wrong with CD-rw discs. It either shows too much (572MB even though I have over 300MB on the disc) or oMB and an error appears that says the drive is read only. The only way to correct this is to restart the system. If I continue to try to use the disc with salamander it eventually fails and I have to re-format it.

Is the registered version intended for use with CD-rw drives ? and are there any known problems ?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Please, try to install latest Servant Salamander 2.5 beta 11 and let us know.

Version 1.52 is no longer updated and supported.
sachem

Post by sachem »

Installed 2.5 beta and it seems to have the same problem. Does this apply to built-in rw drives as well or is it my external drive (driver) that is the problem ?
Have a really good day.
SvA

Post by SvA »

What operation system are you running and how are you writeing to your CD-RW disks?

I strongly suspect this to be an issue with the OS or the file system (-driver) on the CD or even how your CD writer SW does things.

I remember a similar issue with multy session CDs (looking at them through Windows Explorer, on my Win98 SE system). The Properties pannel shows the free space as 0 KB and the amount of data on the disk as the amount of data written in the last session only.

SS does the same still on WinXP. Explorer however shows still the same amount of data on the CD (last session only), but shows free space as long as another session can be appended.

Since I do not use packet writeing (UDF file system) I have no disk ready to check with, but there most likely will be similar issues.
sachem

Post by sachem »

Hello SvA,

I think you are right it is the OS/driver. something else that makes it worse is that I am using USB1 with rw discs 1-4x. I tend not to multi-session as I had disc failure problems with that too.

I'm using Windows 2000 on a laptop.
Have a really good day.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Sachem, could you please update your signature to comply with forum rules? (point 6)

Regarding your problem: is it closed? Could you upgrade this driver? Use another packet-writing software?
sachem

Post by sachem »

First point - sorry - I didn't read the legal bits like most people.

There is no new driver for my CD burner - I find if I use Windows to drag and drop to the rw disc everything is fine - so I would say Salamander and Windows work in different ways with rw discs and this results in the problem.
Have a really good day.