Disconnect network drive

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.

Disconnect network drive

Post by Guest »

Condition:

-"My documents"-folder isn't located in the user profile
(Beta 11)

if I disconnect a network drive, I get an error that salamander can't change the directory to "userprofile\my documents".

Can anyone reproduce it.

Is it a failure by myself, or is the "my documents"-folder hard coded and not taken from the system settings ?
manison
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by manison »

Check the Drives > If path in panel is inaccessible, go to... configuration setting.

Post by Guest »

In the drive panel is the my documents folder perfectly shown and reachable, iI don't now whats the failure.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Disconnect network drive

Post by Petr Solin »

Guest wrote:Is it a failure by myself, or is the "my documents"-folder hard coded and not taken from the system settings ?
No, it's taken from system, but only when Salamander is starting without saved configuration in registry. If Salamander loads configuration from registry, it loads also this variable from registry, so it doesn't get My Documents path again from system and uses "old" value. Maybe we should change this. :)

Let me know if your My Documents path may change during work (e.g. after some login to network drive). Or if My Documents path is always the same and the only problem is that we have the old value loaded from configuration.
SvA

Post by SvA »

Hi Peter,

since this path is user configurable (see manison's post above), the best (most flexible and versatile) solution in my oppinion was to allow to use environment variables and CSIDL constants in that configuration field.

Post by Guest »

I don't change the My Documents while working.

My Documents path is always the same. You should take it while starting from the system values. I have an old setting, which I created with another location of my documents folder. THX

Why switch you back to this folder and not to last local drive and directory from this panel before ?

For now many thanks. A great forum.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Guest wrote:I don't change the My Documents while working.

My Documents path is always the same. You should take it while starting from the system values. I have an old setting, which I created with another location of my documents folder. THX
OK, I'll patch it.
Guest wrote:Why switch you back to this folder and not to last local drive and directory from this panel before ?
This is easier. :) Moreover any folder/drive may easily cease existing, My Documents path should be OK anytime.

Post by Guest »

Thanks a lot.

In my case this configuration works:

>>
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Altap\Servant Salamander 2.5 beta 11\Configuration]
"If Path Is Inaccessible Go To"="D:\\"
>>

If I disconnect, Salamander checks that my documents no exist and it redirect to "If Path Is Inaccessible Go To"-Path.
However, so can you specify any path where you want to be redirected after disconnect, wihthout the enforcement to take a system folder.

Maybe a workaround ?

PS: Moreover any folder/drive may easily cease existing - The hard truth ;-)
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Guest wrote:If I disconnect, Salamander checks that my documents no exist and it redirect to "If Path Is Inaccessible Go To"-Path.
However, so can you specify any path where you want to be redirected after disconnect, wihthout the enforcement to take a system folder.
When path in panel is not accessible (e.g. disconnected network drive):
-it tryies to go to "If Path Is Inaccessible Go To"-Path
-it previous attempt fails, it goes to "fixed drive" (root of disk with system)

Is it OK? Or do you suggest some change in this behaviour?
omega

Post by omega »

why not go straight to root C ? C drive should always exist

Post by Guest »

@Petr Solin:

It is OK.

Is it possible to pick up the setting for the
"If Path Is Inaccessible Go To"-Path to the Configuration Menu ?
So is anyone able to change the location.

@omega:

Set the path hard to c:\ I don't prefer , because I use different drives and i would like to set it up to my favorite. Do you agree ?
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Guest wrote:Is it possible to pick up the setting for the
"If Path Is Inaccessible Go To"-Path to the Configuration Menu ?
So is anyone able to change the location.
Go to menu Options > Configuration > Drives: see bottom of page.

Post by Guest »

Oops, I need glases ;-)