Page 1 of 1

MMViewer plugin not showing ID3 v2.4

Posted: 26 Sep 2012, 09:09
by McLion
Hi

v2.4 ID3 tags are not shown correctly. It shows the v2.4 heading but it only shows the Year and the Track No.

McL

Re: MMViewer plugin not showing ID3 v2.4

Posted: 26 Sep 2012, 17:14
by therube
Looks like it may depend?

Just playing around.
Originally file had 2.3.
Then used ID3 Tag Editor (untested) to change it to 2.4.
Then Mp3tag to make more changes in 2.4, then changed it back to 2.3, then back to 2.4 again.

Looks like not as many fields show for 2.4 as for 2.3.

Christian Ghansta Rap :lol:.

Re: MMViewer plugin not showing ID3 v2.4

Posted: 07 Oct 2012, 00:39
by Ether
McLion wrote:v2.4 ID3 tags are not shown correctly. It shows the v2.4 heading but it only shows the Year and the Track No.
Which fields exactly are you missing?

Re: MMViewer plugin not showing ID3 v2.4

Posted: 11 Nov 2012, 14:41
by McLion
Almost everything.
Look here with a file that has v2.4 tags (only):
v2.4-Salamander.jpg
v2.4-Salamander.jpg (17.95 KiB) Viewed 6186 times
And here what really is in the tags:
v2.4-dBpoweramp.jpg
v2.4-dBpoweramp.jpg (72.78 KiB) Viewed 6186 times

Re: MMViewer plugin not showing ID3 v2.4

Posted: 23 Nov 2012, 22:00
by Ether
Could you upload/send the file in question? I can give you my personal e-mail address for that, if you want.

Re: MMViewer plugin not showing ID3 v2.4

Posted: 28 Oct 2014, 15:23
by McLion
Need to pick this up again.
Just now found that Ether responded in this thread ... didn't got the notification somehow :?
I tried to attach the file mentioned in this thread earlier as sample but this did not work.
This actually happens to all my files that are ripped with v2.4 ID3 tags.

Re: MMViewer plugin not showing ID3 v2.4

Posted: 03 Nov 2014, 21:55
by Ether
I'm not sure what's the cause. I see potential problem with either text encoding (see section 4 of ID3v2.4 specification), or "unsynchronisation" (see section 6).

The encoding seems to be UTF-16 with BOM judging from the data. In bytes 0x08-0x0e, I see two bytes of flags (unsynchronisation and data length indicator are set), then four bytes of the data length and then text enconding byte, but I'm not sure -- maybe there's something wrong with the frame header. More probable is that the problem are unsynchronized frames and/or frames with data length indicators. I don't know if MMViewer can handle them (maybe they're an issue only if they're UTF-16).

Code: Select all

54 49 54 31 00 00 02 0A 00 03 00 00 01 7F 01 FF 00 FE 4D 00 6F 00 64 00 65 00 72 00 6E 00
TIT1...........˙.ţM.o.d.e.r.n.
More information on UTF-16 is possibly hidden somewhere else on the forum.

Re: MMViewer plugin not showing ID3 v2.4

Posted: 04 Nov 2014, 23:14
by McLion
Ether,

This helped a lot!
I did some testing with text encoding in Unicode_UTF8 instead of Unicode_16 (as I did before). These are the 2 option I can select in dBPoweramp.
It still does not list all the fields with multiple entries correctly (shows only one in v2.4, and all in v1.1 !) but it now shows at least most of the fields.
So, it turns out the MMViewer does not support Unicode_16 - as seen in other parts in Salamander.
I'll have to test where else it has some influence (MediaServer, Player ...)

Thanks
McL