Deleting a large amount of files..

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
dsmythe

Deleting a large amount of files..

Post by dsmythe »

I need to clean out the documents and settings folder on a bunch of winXP SP2 boxes. I found SS and it seems to work way faster than the windows explorer but I noticed that SS does not like long (really long) filenames. I keep seeing the message "with full path is too long." error on some folders. The filename's look like browser cache files and all have a .htm extension thus far.

Is there a workaround for this? I don't care if it can not delete this one file really, if it would just move on and not prompt me that would suffice.

if not, does anyone know of a tool that can wipe a directory ideally from a UNC path (ie:\\machine\c$\)?

TIA!,
-d
SvA

Post by SvA »

I'd try

Code: Select all

rd /s \\machine\c$\path
or (even more likely to work)

rd /s \\?\UNC\machine\c$\path
dsmythe

Post by dsmythe »

SvA wrote:I'd try

rd /s \\machine\c$\path
or (even more likely to work)

rd /s \\?\UNC\machine\c$\path
Already tried it, command does not allow wildcards. I don't want to remove the administrator profile as well just 1000+ student profiles that are eating up all the HD space on 30+ computers.

-d
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Deleting a large amount of files..

Post by Petr Solin »

dsmythe wrote:I need to clean out the documents and settings folder on a bunch of winXP SP2 boxes. I found SS and it seems to work way faster than the windows explorer but I noticed that SS does not like long (really long) filenames. I keep seeing the message "with full path is too long." error on some folders. The filename's look like browser cache files and all have a .htm extension thus far.
We have patched this in current version, so please test new version which will be released on end of April 2006. You should be able to delete all files whose path with dos-name length is under 260 characters. I believe that your files satisfy this condition.
dsmythe

Re: Deleting a large amount of files..

Post by dsmythe »

Petr Solin wrote: We have patched this in current version, so please test new version which will be released on end of April 2006. You should be able to delete all files whose path with dos-name length is under 260 characters. I believe that your files satisfy this condition.
I will check it out, thank you.

I did find an answer to my question MSFT makes a tool called delprof that is specificly designed to remove inactive user profiles. So when we roll out our next image I can set it up to run monthly.

Thanks again!
-d