Freezing when sending audio files to winamp

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
idep

Post by idep »

Salmander v2.54, Win7 x86

If I right-click a music file and select "enqueue in winamp", Salamander freezes for about 30 seconds.
Winamp (and all other programs) still running ok, only Salamander is frozen. None of the AS windows can be selected, manipulated or used.
The music file is only sent to winamp when AS unfreezes.
This does not occur using the same context menu option in other programs (explorer, firefox etc).
In addition, this occur's every time I select "enqueue in winamp", "open" (from the context menu), double-click the file, highlight and then press Enter etc.

This happens for *every* file associated by extension to winamp.
Here's the kicker - I generally run AS by selecting the "run as administrator" option. The problems *only* occur when I run as administrator, and not when AS is launched normally.
Ether

Re: Freezing when sending audio files to winamp

Post by Ether »

I guess it's because a new instance of Winamp starts in the background (because the current one can't communicate with the elevated Salamander process), which is the reason why it takes so much time and then the new instance tells the old one about the file. -- That's my hypothesis. Now for some questions:

How long does it take for Winamp to start?
Could you send us a Process Monitor log capturing the issue?
Ελληνικά rulez.
idep

Post by idep »

It takes around 3 seconds to launch AS.

I should have explained, I launch AS in "run as administrator" mode by default, and very rarely launch more than one instance. Whenever I have had the problems I described, there was only one instance running as administrator. I can run a second instance (not in admin mode) and that works fine, so I don't think there is an issue at all communicating between instances.

If I didn't setup PM correctly, let me know and I'll try again. I set the filter to just show salamander.exe events.
Attachments
pml.zip
(612.93 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
therube

Post by therube »

My original thought was ShellExView?

Same issue described here:

Google cache: Hanging on Context Menu

Orig: http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=973

(Note that Everything has to run at an Admin level, & programs opened from within Everything inherit that.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Ether

Post by Ether »

idep wrote:It takes around 3 seconds to launch AS.
idep wrote:so I don't think there is an issue at all communicating between instances.
Oh, I meant Winamp, sorry I didn't write it more clearly.
idep wrote:If I didn't setup PM correctly, let me know and I'll try again. I set the filter to just show salamander.exe events.
I'd like to see the winamp.exe process activity, too.
Ελληνικά rulez.
tosi

Post by tosi »

have the same problem. according to links above - when running AS as admin, let winamp be run also as admin. then everything seems to be ok.