Start Program in Salamander Issue

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
JimC

Start Program in Salamander Issue

Post by JimC »

Normally, I can either type <enter> or double-click on a program that is listed in either pane of Salamander, and this will start the program. At present, however, this is not working (instead, to achieve the same result, I have to right click and choose "Open"). However, this same function (and, by the same means, that of either typing <enter> or by double-clicking) is still working in Windows Explorer. I then installed Salamander again (though I did not first uninstall it), but this did not resolve this issue. I don't recall running into this problem before, but would be grateful for any help. Thanks.
ino

Re: Start Program in Salamander Issue

Post by ino »

JimC,

can you check behavior in MS Explorer? Is it working as expected or same as in Salamander?
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

What kind of file is it? What extension? Maybe it's a registered extension in Archives Associations in Panels?
Just a wild guess...
Ether

Post by Ether »

Try using ShellExView to locate problematic shell extensions and see if disabling them helps. You can also post the list here.
ino wrote:can you check behavior in MS Explorer?
It's mentioned in the original post.
Ελληνικά rulez.
ino

Post by ino »

Ether wrote:
:oops:
JimC

Post by JimC »

ino wrote:
Ether wrote:
:oops:
Yes, the issue only occurs in Salamander, not in MS Explorer.
mdruiter wrote:What kind of file is it? What extension? Maybe it's a registered extension in Archives Associations in Panels?
Just a wild guess...
The problem occurs in the case of any "run-able" file, with any *.extension name (e.g., *.exe, *.pdf, *.bat, *.doc). (via single-click, I can "look inside" zip files OK; that is not a problem). The problem is simply that any file/accompanying program of any extension name that would normally "start up" in AS via either <enter> or double-click, now, will not start by either of these methods; instead, any and all such files will only "load" via right-click, select <open>.
Ether wrote:<span>Try using [url=<a href="http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html]ShellExView[/url]" class="smarterwiki-linkify">http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html]ShellExView[/url]</a> to locate problematic shell extensions and see if disabling them helps. You can also post the list here.
I have attached my ShellExView list of extensions. What is the best way to go about determining where the problem lies? I see that none of my extensions are disabled <g>; perhaps that will explain why I have about a two-second delay, upon right-clicking, before my extensions list appears. I'm glad to disable all non-essentials; any advice here, too, will be welcome (I've attached my ShellEx extensions list, as PDF).

Thanks. :)
Attachments
JimC-Shell Extensions List.pdf
JimC-Shell Extensions List
(138.31 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
JimC

Post by JimC »

OK, I uninstalled AS, and deleted my old Configuration from registry upon reinstalling AS. Then, with the AS default configuration loaded, both double-clicking and typing <enter>, once again, worked properly, for the purpose of starting up files/programs as usual.

I saved out the default (i.e., AS-initially-provided), good-but-vanilla Configuration to a file in case I should need it later. I then reinstalled my old Configuration into AS (renaming it to "config.reg" for this purpose), which was then re-inserted into the registry when I exited AS.

Then, upon loading-in my old personal Configuration, my problem concerning the non-functionality of double-click and <enter> returned. So it seems conclusive that the problem here is in my old (presumably corrupted) Configuration file.

Since I, however, have many carefully-crafted "good" settings in this Configuration file--ones which I very much wish to restore into AS with as much ease as is possible--I would like to use this file as it is--except for, of course, removing whatever the corrupt section therein may be. Then, hopefully, the above-mentioned "double-click and <enter>" AS functionality may be restored--without losing all my custom settings in the process.

I have attached my (apparently) corrupted Configuration file, zipped, as "JimC Problem config_.zip", hoping that one of you can advise me as to what section of this Configuration file is causing the problem.

Thanks.
Attachments
JimC Problem config_.zip
(33.83 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Ether

Post by Ether »

Unfortunately, the PDF file seems to display a fraction of the contained information, rest is outside the page. CSV should be better.

Also, I installed your configuration file and I can run and open files with no problems, so it seems the issue is caused by a combination of factors. I'll try to dig more into it, but I doubt I'll see anything interesting. Meanwhile, you can try to delete the live configuration, let it regenerate and then restore the old one piece by piece (the Registry plugin is good for that) and see what piece is causing all this. You may encounter some other quirks with Viewer and Unpacker associations though, because of the way Salamander references plugins in its configuration.
Ελληνικά rulez.
therube

Post by therube »

I installed your configuration file and I can run and open files with no problems
Ditto.

Perhaps start out with a new setup.
Cut your .reg file in half, & merge that into the registry.
Start Salamander & test.

If that bombs, do it again, but cutting that half in half.
If it works, then concentrate on the other half ...

(I really like your 'Selected' highlighting. Going to have to look through & see how you did that. And I thought I was the only one left using Eudora :-).)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54