Massive Error 32 on file move

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
gworley

Massive Error 32 on file move

Post by gworley »

I have just tried to move 220 GB of files from one drive ot another and about every couple of minutes I am getting an error 32. I turned off my anti-virus program -- Avast, which is set to scan every file because these files were from a system that contained a virus and I don't want to transfer a file that is a virus - and the error 32's went a way. The files are showing only Salamander having the file open. I click on retry and everything is fine for awhile. Then the error pops up again.

Help...

Thanks,

George
mdruiter

Re: Massive Error 32 on file move

Post by mdruiter »

Shouldn't you report this to Avast instead of Altap?
gworley

Post by gworley »

Actually no because Salamander is trying to delete a the file before the Virus Scan is done. It would be the same thing with any Anti-Virus program not just Avast. I tried another Anti-Virus Program -- AVG -- set to scan every file as it was opened and had the same issue.
therube

Post by therube »

This "Error 32" is being generated by what? Windows, Avast, AVG, Salamander?

Manually scan your files first, & when done, disable the A/V's real-time scanner, & then move your files.

I would think it to be an A/V issue?
The A/V should have first dibs to the file, locking it, analyzing it, then either doing something with it itself (like deleting or clean), then release the lock, so other apps can access the file?

(From elsewhere:)
You might consider using Processmon (http://www.sysinternals.com) to verify whether Antivirus is causing file contention.
Also you would expect archived files (ZIP, RAR ...) to take longer to scan (the need to unpack first & especially as the size increases), so might think about excluding them to avoid contention issues. The A/V may have adjustable settings, a max scan time, max file size or the like, after which it gives up or ignores?

OK, so the "32" is coming from Salamander (it looks like).
(Actually I suppose that Salamander is returning an OS error code, ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION 32 (0x20)).
So your A/V has the file locked, but not yet released, & Salamander is looking to move it.
The OS see's then contention & notifies Salamander.
Salamander reports that to you.

WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
therube

Post by therube »

And if I try to delete the file, while it is still locked, whether from within Salamander or Windows Explorer, I get a similar result.

The Skip, Skip All options exist from the Salamander dialog. Might be an option. Then go back afterwards & pick up those errant files.
But still think it better, faster, to scan ahead of time, then disable before the move.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Ether

Post by Ether »

therube wrote:So your A/V has the file locked, but not yet released, & Salamander is looking to move it.
The OS see's then contention & notifies Salamander.
Salamander reports that to you.
I get this sometimes too, but not really frequently. I use Avast without any special settings. Have you customized your A/V settings somehow? It seems that getting the error every couple of minutes is a bit too frequent.
Ελληνικά rulez.