regressive windows "update"

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
ph.

regressive windows "update"

Post by ph. »

The uncontrollable Windows 10 installation just updated itself, and now Salamandar does not recognise USB disks.

I reloaded the program suspecting that something was amiss with my old installation, to no avail. The only change to my machine has been one of Microsofts frequent "improvements" to what they believe is a better "user xperience" or "improved" user safety (such as when they killed off communication with all early Linux based NAS devices). I suspect that they now feel USB devices shuld not be used by competing programs.

Anyone having a solution (exept killing off Windows and installing Linux and using MC instead of Salamander).

p.
ph.

Re: regressive windows "update"

Post by ph. »

to elaborate on the above; I first seached the windows error abnk where they stated how wonderful the OS was but still the USb drivers could disappear,and then the remedy was to uninstall it restant and reinstall. So I did, with teh result taht the machine claims teh driver is installed in its newest version. The next error search was to examine salamander fro compatibility with w10. So I did,and the message was that the program alredy ahd a compatibility setting with W8 and that it should be swithed off. So I did and started again. No improvement. At least I sent off the standard error message to Microsoft which does not allow any user details beyond the autoreporting which I expect will be disregarded.

p.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Windows stopped communicating with your NAS because of disabled SMB 1.0 protocol. You can re-enable it. But be aware that there are some security problems with it. Does your system recognize the external USB drive?
therube

Post by therube »

Some discussions on networks, sharing, & SMB1 here (don't ask how I know):

Networking & Sharing - Redux
Networking & Sharing - how to do it?

And even with that, even excluding SMB1, I still have the damnedest time, from time to time, with (Windows) sharing (in particular where UNC paths work, where network browsing fails).
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54