Salamander crashes while copying entire path and file name

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
acme2020

Salamander crashes while copying entire path and file name

Post by acme2020 »

While trying to copy a long file name (using the "Send to" context menu) including the entire path Salamander crashed. Tired it several times and with different file names, S. crashed every time. Found out that the max allowable length is 127 characters, form 128 characters onwards Salamander crashes.
Any help/remedy?
I use Salmander 4.0 (x64), Windows 10 64 bit
SelfMan

Re: Salamander crashes while copying entire path and file name

Post by SelfMan »

See maximum file path limitation for more information.
You are probably using unicode (accented characters) which shortens the number of usable characters to half. Salamandercrashes because the subsystem handling the path crashes.
acme2020

Post by acme2020 »

Thanks for the answer.
I changed the entry in the registry (LongPathsEnabled) but I can't find this "application manifest file". Salamander still crashes.
Where would I find it?

My Windows Version = Windows 10 64 bit, Version 2004 build 19041.746
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Salamander won't work with long path. Most of the application won't if they are not programmed to do so.
A Manifest file is a XML file of the same name as the executable, but with the xml extension.
you can find more about it in Microsoft's documentation
therube

Post by therube »

Explain further, if you will.

275 chars.
225, path part
50, name part

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\servicing\LCU\Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~19041.746.1.6\amd64_microsoft-windows-userexperience-desktop_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.19041.662_none_6490cb5c282a676e\n\screenclipping\screenclipping\assets\square44x44logo.targetsize-24_altform-unplated.png
I'm in the /assets/ directory, I right-click the .png file, Send to... -> Hasher.

On my end the file opens in Hasher, with a hash displayed.

I do not have longpathenabled (or whatever it is) in the Windows registry.
(This is on Win10.)
I'm kind of surprised that this works - at all, much less fully - between Windows/Salamander/Send To/Hasher.
(I'm kind of surprised that anything works in Windows 10 ;-).)

Now, if I have that 275 char path+name in the windows clipboard, I cannot "paste" that (Shift+Insert, which would normally take you to that directory, focus on that filename) into Salamander - "too long", error message).
(Now, I can paste the shorter 225 char path into Salamander & that will take you to the directory itself.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

I don't know how exactly is this done. But I assume it works similarly to the quick search, where you start typing and the cursor moves the the matching path/filename.