Two errors in Salamander

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
wlathan

Two errors in Salamander

Post by wlathan »

First, let me say that Salamander is a great program. I found Salamander after having to quit using Magellan Explorer due to its problem with not storing 2021 dates properly (kept using 2020). However, I have found two errors that are driving me crazy.

Both errors I wish to describe come from my use of Aryson Yahoo Backup to backup my mail files to a local disk (I don't want to completely trust the Yahoo servers). I save each mail message as an eml file.

Error 1: occasionally some of the text that Aryson captures for the name of the file is not captured correctly by Slamander and thus generates a syntax error when trying to open or copy a file. Let me give an example of the same file and its presentation:

Salamander: 2020-08-07_??HAMFEST Specials at GigaPa.eml (by the way, this error occurred using Magellan Explorer as well)
MS File Explorer or Total Commander: 2020-08-07_🔔HAMFEST Specials at GigaPa.eml (the bell character is apparently legal and open and copy work)

I have no idea what character the bell represents, but one can clearly see the problem. Both Salamander and Magellan Explorer replaced some character with question marks, which creates an illegal Windows file name.

Error 2: I have my Windows 10 set so that .eml files are opened with Mail. However, when I attempt to open such a file in Salamander, it is as if the eml file is actually a folder that Salamander opens with two parts, a txt file and a htm file. I can use "open with" and choose the Mail application and all is well. But it would be nice if Salamander would simply use the Windows default, which in my case is Mail.

Many thanks to all,

Bill
SelfMan

Re: Two errors in Salamander

Post by SelfMan »

a) Salamander does not support Unicode, hence the question mark in the name.
(it would be much better if the xporting tool had the option to convert the characters outside ascii to underscore or acii eqivalent.
b) Salamander is using the internal archiver plugin
go to Options > Configuration > Archivers > Archives associations in panels - locate the line "eml;b64;uue;xxe;hqx;ntx;cnm" and remove the eml extension from it.
therube

Re: Two errors in Salamander

Post by therube »

WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54