Windows PowerToys PowerRename

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
mkolber

Windows PowerToys PowerRename

Post by mkolber »

I am a long time registered user and this is the first time I've come across something like this.

The current version of Windows PowerToys contains a good file renamer (yes, I know there is a basic one in Salamander). It is not a stand-alone program, but a dll accessed from the Explorer context menu. For whatever reason, while it appears in the context menu within Salamander, it does not launch. It works fine in Explorer, even in other third-party file managers like MultiCommander and TotalCommander (tried the just to see), so I can't think of a reason it doesn't launch you yours.
therube

Re: Windows PowerToys PowerRename

Post by therube »

The current version of Windows PowerToys
Is that a Win10 only item?
it appears in the context menu within Salamander
(Wouldn't think this would be the issue, but) does bitness make a difference?
As in does it work in Salamander x64 & not in Salamander x86 (or vice-versa)?
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
mkolber

Post by mkolber »

Yes, it is a Windows 10 item. Actually it's a third-party open source app. Technically still pre-release. https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/releases

Everything I've run it with, including Salamander, has been 64-bit.
mkolber

Post by mkolber »

So any further word on this? Frustrating to have to go to one of the other file managers (not of which have any problem with it) and leave a program I've used for at least 14 years.
SvA

Post by SvA »

Hi @mkolber,

This might have something to do with what @manison explains in this Post. If it does, it can be fixed by the developers of the PowerToy.
mkolber

Post by mkolber »

So, you are thinking even Windows 10's own built in Explorer file manager doesn't have high entropy VA?
SvA

Post by SvA »

No.
I don't know whether it does or doesn't.
Compatibility is most important for a program as widely used as Windows Explorer ...
mkolber

Post by mkolber »

Thanks.

Either way, Salamander is the only file manager which doesn't recognize it, so the path of least resistance is to, sadly, let it go.