pictview process not starting; curious intermittent phenomenon

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
ph.

pictview process not starting; curious intermittent phenomenon

Post by ph. »

Sirs,

Yesterday i fixed the Windows 10 "upgrade" that aimed to "protect" me by removing the SAMBA-like protocol SMB1 (with the usual excuse that it was for my own benefit.) But I use this to connect with my storage server NAS boxes which neveer face the public internet, only an internal house net, so I did a long and hard battle with google and MS to find the "run optional features.exe" and succeeded.

BUT pictview stopped working even though i used an ethernet connection to speed up communication and be certain to avoid Wi-fi CODEC troubles.

Now I have reloaded version 4 salamander to repair the whole installation, f3 worked once (on a big psd picture file), but then suddenly stopped working once I switchded directories. Back to the local disk with ethernet off, still no pictview. The general program starts, in a separate window, but states that pictview process does not start.

After a time Pictview behaved as usual both over ethernet and from the local disc. very strange.

Anyone else experiencing misbehaving W10 influencing Pictview installations ?

p.
ph.

Re: pictview process not starting; curious intermittent phenomenon

Post by ph. »

No one else observing Pictview problems? I might as wella answer myself with my hypothesis. I have a very large number of pictures on the drives I seek to access. Perhaps PV has some sort of barrier against treating too amny files at once? I sent in the first error messages and mailedthe creator, but no resposnse. Salamender remains my favourite file manager since Windows does not offer anything like the two windows MC on linux .

p.