Mixed Environment 1 PC and 1 Mac and .DS_Store

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
gworley

Mixed Environment 1 PC and 1 Mac and .DS_Store

Post by gworley »

I received a Mac and mapped my PC to access the Mac using SMB. I assigned the drive to W: on my PC. I maintain my Music on both computers using iTunes. I have the same library on both. I am subscriber the iCloud Music Library which maintains the same playlist and music on the Cloud however the files that are downloaded from the iCloud are not MP3. So I use Altap Salamander to copy the MP3 files from the Mac to the PC. This is is where the issue arises as the Mac stores alternative streams in a hidden file called .DS_Store and this drives Altap Salamander crazy. The error I get:

Error Reading Alternate Data Streams
Name W:\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Trace Adkins\.DS_Store
Error: (58) The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.
With Ignore, Ignore All, Retry, and Cancel buttons.

Is there a way to get Altap Salamander to ignore the Alternative Data Streams?

Thanks,

George Worley
therube

Re: Mixed Environment 1 PC and 1 Mac and .DS_Store

Post by therube »

Oh, out of my league on this one, so I'll just ramble...
music on the Cloud however the files that are downloaded from the iCloud are not MP3
How does that matter? Or does your player only support mp3?
So I use Altap Salamander to copy the MP3 files from the Mac to the PC
Where are these mp3's coming from? How are they coming about?
I'd think Mac would default to aac?
the Mac stores alternative streams in a hidden file called .DS_Store and this drives Altap Salamander crazy
From the little that I've come across .DS_Store, it seem simply to be a "file" to me.
And Wikipedia seems to say it is just "a file", .DS_Store.
(Though they do mention potential issues with copying.)

My initial though was that it was a permissions issue with the file, .DS_Store, where you'd didn't have sufficient rights to it?

But then this is weird:
Error Reading Alternate Data Streams
Is that message originating from the Windows end or the Mac end? (Seemingly Mac calls ADS, "Forks".)

Salamander's Copy dialog (F5), has an option to 'Ignore alternate data streams (ADS)'.
Have you tried that?

And then, you have this:
Error: (58) The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.
Googling that turns up some posts, but at this point, I'd just leave it at that.

See if disabling the copy of ADS in Salamander works.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54