Change Attributes, unset readonly on Windows 7 64 bits

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
antoine

Change Attributes, unset readonly on Windows 7 64 bits

Post by antoine »

Change Attributes, unset read only on Windows 7 64 bits not working

I have Altap Salamander 2.54 on a PC with Windows 7 64 bits.

Hitting Ctrl-F2 to change a file from read-only to not read only does not work.

The attributes of the file before hitting Ctrl-F2 : RA
I hit Ctrl-F2, uncheck the read-only box.
Then when I close the attributes dialog box the file is still displayed with the attributes RA.
It is not a display bug, the file is still read only in Windows Explorer and in Cygwin.

Right clicking on the file to open the attributes option works, but I guess this dialog box is implemented by Windows, not by Salamander.

Making a writable file readonly with the Ctrl-F2 dialog works.

By the way it would be good if Altap would make a 64 bits build of Salamander.

Regards.
Ether

Re: Change Attributes, unset readonly on Windows 7 64 bits

Post by Ether »

Unsetting R attribute works for me (Win7x64). What file are you operating on?
Ελληνικά rulez.
MartinS

Post by MartinS »

antoine wrote:Change Attributes, unset read only on Windows 7 64 bits not working
Same behavior here on my Win7x64 - unchecking Read-only doesn't work.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Are you really unchecking the checkbox? It's a tristate box - set, don't change and unset (in this order).
Ελληνικά rulez.
MartinS

Post by MartinS »

Ether wrote:Are you really unchecking the checkbox? It's a tristate box - set, don't change and unset (in this order).
Well, now it works :) Thanks for clarification - I didn't notice that it is tristate, because I expected the same behavior like in windows file properties dialog.
therube

Post by therube »

It's a tristate box - set, don't change and unset (in this order).
I've long seen that, but never realized/understood the "don't change" setting.
Could you explain that a bit further.
Where would this typically come into play?
Suppose it would be where multiple files are selected, with varying attributes, & you wanted to affect a change only to some of the attributes.

Is 'don't change' really used that often?
Thinking (at least for me), preferred order would be set/unset (toggle) & lastly don't change.

Typically I drop to a prompt & type: ATTRIB -A /S.
Or many times I'll pull a "hidden" file from %TMP% & in order to remove the Hidden attribute (from within the Change Attributes dialog), need to hit Ctrl+H twice to actually unset it.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
MartinS

Post by MartinS »

I would expect the behavior similar to Windows properties dialog, i.e. set the tristate to the attribute only if I select files with different value of the attribute.
Ether

Post by Ether »

therube wrote:Where would this typically come into play?
Suppose it would be where multiple files are selected, with varying attributes, & you wanted to affect a change only to some of the attributes.
Yes, that's the scenario.
MartinS wrote:I would expect the behavior similar to Windows properties dialog, i.e. set the tristate to the attribute only if I select files with different value of the attribute.
When I think about it, it really doesn't make sense to allow the third state if you know the attribute is the same for all the files. But then the behavior would be inconsistent. Sometimes you'd have to click twice, sometimes once. I'd hate to have to think about how many clicks I need to do.
Ελληνικά rulez.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Ether wrote:I think about it, it really doesn't make sense to allow the third state if you know the attribute is the same for all the files. But then the behavior would be inconsistent. Sometimes you'd have to click twice, sometimes once. I'd hate to have to think about how many clicks I need to do.
Yes, this is the reason...
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

Sometimes you'd have to click twice, sometimes once. I'd hate to have to think about how many clicks I need to do.
For me, exactly this is what I currently find annoying: to check I have to click once, to uncheck I have to click twice. At least with a single file (or multiple files with equal attributes).

I don't quite understand the argument. :?
For attributes that are equal for all files, the don't change mode is useless and confusing. If that can be left out, the number of clicking will be more consistent. Current situation:

Code: Select all

from    to      clicks
checked clear   2
clear   checked 1
both    clear   1
both    checked 2
Better:

from    to      clicks
checked clear   1
clear   checked 1
both    clear   1
both    checked 2
Ether

Post by Ether »

mdruiter wrote:Better:

from    to      clicks
checked clear   1
clear   checked 1
both    clear   1
both    checked 2
I can't agree with the checked > clear and clear > checked part. One click is only when you don't allow the both state, so it's still inconsistent if you use the tristate when it's needed. An alternative where your numbers would hold is that the both state can be set as default, but once changed to something else, it cannot be restored (only by closing the dialog and opening it again).
Ελληνικά rulez.
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

One click is only when you don't allow the both state, so it's still inconsistent if you use the tristate when it's needed.
For attributes that are equal for all files the tristate has no use. Worse: it is confusing! And (only) those attributes start in the (un)checked state anyway.
Therefore I suggest to include the don't change option only for attributes that are not equal for all files.
Maybe I'm missing you're point. :?
Ether

Post by Ether »

mdruiter wrote:Therefore I suggest to include the don't change option only for attributes that are not equal for all files.
Maybe I'm missing you're point. :?
So if the A attribute is not equal for all files and the R attribute is, your A checkbox would behave differently than your R checkbox?
Ελληνικά rulez.
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

if the A attribute is not equal for all files and the R attribute is, your A checkbox would behave differently than your R checkbox?
Exactly. As the don't change mode is useless and confusing for R.
That would be just like Windows does it, by te way.
Ether

Post by Ether »

mdruiter wrote:
if the A attribute is not equal for all files and the R attribute is, your A checkbox would behave differently than your R checkbox?
Exactly. As the don't change mode is useless and confusing for R.
If I were to change attributes of various files often, I'd hate this. An IMHO probable scenario:

OK, so let's remove the R from all these files - it was in the third state, OK - click once - unchecked - yes! - but wait! - I didn't mean to remove the R attribute, I was thinking of A - so, R is checked and let's revert it - click - not enough, let's click again - OK, that's it - now, A is checked - I can double click it to uncheck it - what? checked again? - oh, wait, this one works differently, I have to click only once...
Ελληνικά rulez.