Change Attributes, unset readonly on Windows 7 64 bits

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
MartinS

Re: Change Attributes, unset readonly on Windows 7 64 bits

Post by MartinS »

Ether wrote:If I were to change attributes of various files often, I'd hate this. An IMHO probable scenario:

OK, so let's remove the R from all these files - it was in the third state, OK - click once - unchecked - yes! - but wait! - I didn't mean to remove the R attribute, I was thinking of A - so, R is checked and let's revert it - click - not enough, let's click again - OK, that's it - now, A is checked - I can double click it to uncheck it - what? checked again? - oh, wait, this one works differently, I have to click only once...
But in your scenario - after you change some state, you have no chance to find out which attribute is mixed on selected files, because there is always third state. I like the Explorer way, because even when you switch some attribute back and forth, you can always see third state=mixed attribute.

I do understand that both approaches have some advantages. But when we are not sure which way to do it, I think it is better to do it the same way as Windows Explorer.
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

I think Ether's use case is very rare. You need to have:
  • multiple files
  • with an attribute with mixed states
  • and an other attribute having uniform state
  • clicked on the wrong attribute
  • remembered how many time you clicked
  • applied that number of clicks
A much more common use case is having:
  • a single file (or multiple files with uniform attributes)
  • clicked the right attribute
  • watched the effect of every click
For example if you need to clear a single file's R attribute, you have to click twice now (and understand what the don't change state means). :?

And MartinS has another great argument: being able to see whether an attribute had multiple states.
therube

Post by therube »

Perhaps an (Attributes) "Absolute" checkbox.

When checked, only two states, set or unset, & all attributes are set/unset per the checkbox toggles.
Unchecked, things operate as they are now.

In my case, virtually all the time, I only want to set or unset an attribute absolutely.
I rarely run into, have a need for, a "don't change" switch.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

therube wrote:In my case, virtually all the time, I only want to set or unset an attribute absolutely.
I rarely run into, have a need for, a "don't change" switch.
Of course you do. :)
Seriously: if you take ten files, some of them read-only, and you want to set their Compressed attribute (for instance), you don't want the Read-only attribute to change: you leave it in the don't change state.
But I agree with you that having multiple files with differing attributes is rare. That's why I suggested to remove the don't change state for all attributes having uniform state.
therube wrote:WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.53beta2
Aside: why not 2.54? :?:
therube

Post by therube »

WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.53beta2
Just an old tag that I've never gotten around to updating.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54