bug: button doesn't open control panel

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
salaman

bug: button doesn't open control panel

Post by salaman »

Altap Salamander 2.54

PLEASE ENTER YOUR BUG REPORT HERE: button doesn't open control panel

see the attached file for more details
Attachments
pc.txt
pc configuration - salamander report
(41.08 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
SelfMan

Re: bug: button doesn't open control panel

Post by SelfMan »

Please can you be more specific? Which button? Which control panel? Supply a creenshot if possible.
Thank you.
Ether

Post by Ether »

I think salaman meant the Open Control Panel button available on the Top Toolbar.
Ελληνικά rulez.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Ether wrote:I think salaman meant the Open Control Panel button available on the Top Toolbar.
LoL, I've never used that button. And if I remeber right, I've never used any of the buttons. I am a all keyboard user.

To the problem, I believe that there must be some error within the CLASS registry.

Jan, can you specify which keys to check? (no spare time here... I have to party :lol: )
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We are calling SHGetSpecialFolderLocation with CSIDL_CONTROLS parameter to get the location, then ShellExecuteEx to open it with Windows Explorer.

What about other commands from Commands > Open Folder?
salaman

Post by salaman »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We are calling SHGetSpecialFolderLocation with CSIDL_CONTROLS parameter to get the location, then ShellExecuteEx to open it with Windows Explorer.

What about other commands from Commands > Open Folder?
Only Fonts seem to work. I use the manager with Administrator privileges, while working under regular user. That's why I need "Open control panel" and "Recycle bin" buttons.
Textor

Post by Textor »

salaman wrote:Altap Salamander 2.54
PLEASE ENTER YOUR BUG REPORT HERE: button doesn't open control panel
see the attached file for more details
Cannot confirm - all Toolbar buttons opening system folders & locations work as designed, including Desktop, Documents, Network and Control Panel .

I am running Salamander 2.54 on Windows 7 32bit with Admin priviledges.
Ether

Post by Ether »

salaman wrote:button doesn't open control panel
Works for me on Win7x64 (UAC on). Could you try it on another system?
Ελληνικά rulez.
therube

Post by therube »

I use the manager with Administrator privileges, while working under regular user.
And you do that how? Logged in as a regular (Limited is it) user. Then using runas to run Salamander?
C:> RUNAS /USER:Administrator salamand.exe

While running as a Limited user, if you open an elevated (Admin level) command prompt, & type in CONTROL, does that open Control Panel?
C:> CONTROL

Might it be a "limited" "Admin" account having restrictions set (even though it is "Admin") from opening Control Panel?

Your bug report was caused by an actual exception & not simply you issuing a Break?

LanmanRedirector have any bearing?
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
salaman

Post by salaman »

therube wrote:
I use the manager with Administrator privileges, while working under regular user.
And you do that how? Logged in as a regular (Limited is it) user. Then using runas to run Salamander?
C:> RUNAS /USER:Administrator salamand.exe

While running as a Limited user, if you open an elevated (Admin level) command prompt, & type in CONTROL, does that open Control Panel?
C:> CONTROL
The last one doesn't work... Seems that the problem has nothing to do with Salamander, according to what was posted here.

Can someone please point me at the real problem?

OFFTOP is there an option to save shortcuts to directories ? sort of bookmarks?
Last edited by salaman on 11 Jan 2011, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

A better way to fix such problem is to do a repair reinstall of windows. It takes less time than chasing ghosts.
Textor

Post by Textor »

salaman wrote:OFFTOP is there an option to save shortcuts to directories ? sort of bookmarks?
If you don't mind a tiny bit of programming, Autohotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) can do this, and many other tasks as well.

An extra shortcut to the desktop, only active when Salamander is running in the foreground, and activated by Shift+t, looks like this:

Code: Select all

#IfWinActive, ahk_class SalamanderMainWindowVer25
+t::
send +{F7}
sendinput %A_Desktop% {enter}
return
salaman

Post by salaman »

Textor wrote:
salaman wrote:OFFTOP is there an option to save shortcuts to directories ? sort of bookmarks?
If you don't mind a tiny bit of programming, Autohotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) can do this, and many other tasks as well.

An extra shortcut to the desktop, only active when Salamander is running in the foreground, and activated by Shift+t, looks like this:

Code: Select all

#IfWinActive, ahk_class SalamanderMainWindowVer25
+t::
send +{F7}
sendinput %A_Desktop% {enter}
return
this shortcut will open the desired path inside the Salamander ?
Textor

Post by Textor »

salaman wrote:This shortcut will open the desired path inside the Salamander ?
Yes, it is specifically limited to work only when Salamander is running and has the focus.

Did I misunderstand, and you wanted certain folders opened outside of Salamander?

That can be done as well, with the Windows Explorer, or in other programs of your choice.

BTW, depending on what you are looking for, maybe this ready-to-use AHK application is all you need:

http://foldermenu.sourceforge.net/
Folder Menu is a folder switching tool.
You can quickly jump to your favorite folders in explorer, open/save dialog or command prompt...and more.
You can also launch your favorite folders, files or urls.
salaman

Post by salaman »

Textor wrote:
salaman wrote:This shortcut will open the desired path inside the Salamander ?
Yes, it is specifically limited to work only when Salamander is running and has the focus.

Did I misunderstand, and you wanted certain folders opened outside of Salamander?

That can be done as well, with the Windows Explorer, or in other programs of your choice.

BTW, depending on what you are looking for, maybe this ready-to-use AHK application is all you need:

http://foldermenu.sourceforge.net/
Folder Menu is a folder switching tool.
You can quickly jump to your favorite folders in explorer, open/save dialog or command prompt...and more.
You can also launch your favorite folders, files or urls.
No, you got everything right - i was asking about solution for Salamander which allows to make multiple shortcuts :) Thank you.
I actually was hoping that there's another, more native way of creating shortcuts, but still, as you said - i don't mind to write a little of code.