Application often turns unresponsive

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
thedberg

Application often turns unresponsive

Post by thedberg »

Servant Salamander has recently started to hang/turn unresponsive. The only way to close is to use Process Manger. This happens almost daily, possibly related to opening or closing Office documents. After restart it doesn't prompt to send a bug report.

Standard install of Salamander.

Windows 7, basic Dell laptop (works on my other computers).

Any ideas?
Hadez

Re: Application often turns unresponsive

Post by Hadez »

This happens to me too, on a Windows 10 system, but only sporadically. The freezing started to occur about half a year ago and I suspect network drives (though I sometimes open MS Office documents, too).

I am, too, unable to obtain any crash report, perhaps the Crash Reporter process is now limited in recent Win10 updates?

If I remember correctly, killing Salamander through Process Manager worked but even the newly started process froze immediately last time this happened to me (about two weeks ago).

Next time (which might not happen in the next weeks, but who knows!) I'll try to ensure the Crash Reporter process is alive. I may also try to attach Visual Studio's debugger to the process but I am not experienced enough to be sure to succeed in digging up anything useful. I think that I only managed to freeze the process, only to run it again because I lacked debug information.

I would suggest to install the SDK version of Salamander, which is supposed to log more information through its Trace Server, but this information may be limited/related only to plugin development. https://www.altap.cz/salamander/downloads/sdk/

And as usual, if you have any shell extensions enabled in Salamander, please disable them, there have been buggy ones known to make Salamander unstable (but not like this, I think).
thedberg

Post by thedberg »

Thanks for a quick reply!

I'm not a developer any more but I've downloaded the SDK and started the trace server and the SDK Salamander. We'll see if that leads to anything!

/Torbjörn
therube

Post by therube »

During an unresponsive, throw WhatIsHang at it & see what it returns.

As far as unresponsive, I'd think perhaps something context-menu (ShellExView) related, or something external, like your antivirus.

Further I'd think it is not "Salamander" that is unresponsive, only that Salamander becomes unresponsive - due to some other circumstance, process, whatever, that has "hung", & that happened to filter back to Salamander. (An [odd for me] situation like that is the only thing I can ever remember happening on my end.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
thedberg

Post by thedberg »

Thanks therube. Your comments seem very reasonable. I'll try WhatIsHang!
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

In 99% of these hangs is the culprit a buggy shell extension.