Set AS Viewer to see chars in my locale?

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
otrov

Set AS Viewer to see chars in my locale?

Post by otrov »

Hi,
this issue is known to me for a long time and I wanted now to resolve it, as I didn't know if it's some my misconfiguration or it's AS behavior. Also I wanted to try some Converter actions in AS.

It shouldn't be that hard to view files in my locale (or ANSI) which is Cyrillic, Windows CP-1251. Here is word "Salamander" in Cyrillic "Саламандер":

I can't see it even if browsing through all possible conversions in Viewer > Conversion menu - F8

Help files has few lines, that doesn't provide info what could be the reason for this issue.

Also I wanted to know, about conversion tables in AS (e.g. iso51251.tab):

I can't see it working, as I wrote that I can't see my locale characters in AS viewer, but what should I do if I want to make custom conversion table?

At the end I wanted to know, if possible, what is the status for Unicode filename support: currently in AS I can access filenames with ANSI chars in their name (ASCII + my locale CP1251)?
Ether

Re: Set AS Viewer to see chars in my locale?

Post by Ether »

otrov wrote:It shouldn't be that hard to view files in my locale (or ANSI) which is Cyrillic, Windows CP-1251.
You can try setting your Language for non-Unicode programs to some random value and then to the correct one (it seems it can help resolve some inconsistencies).
Ελληνικά rulez.
otrov

Post by otrov »

Unfortunately, that didn't helped
AS is still displaying in ISO 8859-1 or CP-1252
Ether

Post by Ether »

Did you restart Windows in between the changes? I can't currently think of any other reason for your issue. Does Command Prompt work with these files? (You can check the code page used with the command chcp.)
Ελληνικά rulez.
otrov

Post by otrov »

Yes, I restarted two times :)

Command prompt CP is 866 - Cyrillic:

To be more messed up, here is what AS outputs if I compare "test" (CP 866) created in command window and "test2" (CP 1251) created in editor (notice correctly displayed Cyrillic characters):

Any comments? :)
Is someone else in this forum using Cyrillic locale?

[note] Font in command window supports 866 Cyrillic (in case it is confusing)
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

Seems to me AS was run for the first time in a Western locale.
otrov wrote:It shouldn't be that hard to view files in my locale (or ANSI) which is Cyrillic, Windows CP-1251. Here is word "Salamander" in Cyrillic "Саламандер":
Options/Configuration/Viewers and Editors/Internal Viewer/Appearance/Font: what font and script do you have there?
otrov wrote:I can't see it even if browsing through all possible conversions in Viewer > Conversion menu - F8
Options/Configuration/Language/Code page conversion tables
otrov wrote:At the end I wanted to know, if possible, what is the status for Unicode filename support: currently in AS I can access filenames with ANSI chars in their name (ASCII + my locale CP1251)?
Yes, if you have language for non-Unicode programs set properly to Russian (or any other language using CP1251) then you can properly work with file names using CP1251.
But the problems you have described and illustrated with screenshots so far are not actually related to working with file names in CP1251 and don't have anything to do with the non-Unicode programs setting.
otrov

Post by otrov »

Jan Patera wrote:Options/Configuration/Viewers and Editors/Internal Viewer/Appearance/Font: what font and script do you have there?
Ah, script... That was it :) It was set to Western
Thanks
Jan Patera wrote:Yes, if you have language for non-Unicode programs set properly to Russian (or any other language using CP1251) then you can properly work with file names using CP1251.
But the problems you have described and illustrated with screenshots so far are not actually related to working with file names in CP1251 and don't have anything to do with the non-Unicode programs setting.
Yes, I know it is off-topic question, but didn't want to open new thread asking it. And I know I can work with files in my locale, but other Unicode filenames are unaccessible as we all know
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

otrov wrote:To be more messed up, here is what AS outputs if I compare "test" (CP 866) created in command window and "test2" (CP 1251) created in editor (notice correctly displayed Cyrillic characters):Any comments? :)
Seems like you have found a minor bug: Normally, the FileCompare plugin shows the codepages (i.e. the applied conversions and/or interpretations) in the window title when comparing as text. But when the text content is found to be same, the codepage info is not indicated. I'll fix it.
The second screenshot is correct: you are comparing the files as binary, the differences are as expected. No conversions are applied for binary compare -> the title is correct.