TFS icon overlays won't show

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
sjthebat

TFS icon overlays won't show

Post by sjthebat »

I'm using Salamander 2.53 on 64-bit Windows 7 enterprise. I installed TFS (MS Team Foundation Server) Windows Shell Extension, and the icon overlays work under Windows Explorer. But Salamander can't display those icon overlays. The "Options -> Configuration -> Icon Overlays" does not display any handlers for those icons, either. (It contains a couple hanlders to Groove.) I checked the registry reg:\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers, and nothing related to TFS overlays are displayed there either.

How can I make TFS icon overlays show up under Salamander?
Last edited by sjthebat on 16 Aug 2010, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Re: TFS icon overlays won't show

Post by therube »

Link to this TFS?

Thinking you're running into a 64-bit extension issue?

Or something like this, Where did my TFS Windows Shell extension icons go?

Oh, is this TortoiseSVN? Then do a search here for 'TortoisSVN + 64'. (You'll need to install both 64 & 32-versions of Tortoise.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
sjthebat

Post by sjthebat »

I tried the link you posted, but my problem is that under the registry key "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers", there are only 8 entries. So there are still 8 slots left. But I couldn't find any handlers that look remotely like TFS icon layovers.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Altap Salamander is 32-bit software, so it can show only icon overlays from 32-bit shell extensions. Usually it is possible to solve this problem by installing also 32-bit version (e.g. Tortoise SVN works this way), but I have no experience with TFS.
Ether

Post by Ether »

What version of TFS do you have - could you provide a download link? Were the Shell Extensions part of the installation package?

According to TFS 2008 Power Tools download page, you have to "choose Custom when prompted at installation to add the tool to the installed components". It seems that you haven't installed the default (32-bit) Shell Extensions from the main package (tfpt.msi), but only the 64-bit from the separate package (WssExt64Bit.msi).
Ελληνικά rulez.
sjthebat

Post by sjthebat »

@Petr:
I agree with you. The problem seems to be Salamander does not support 64-bit application.

@Ether:
I never downloaded the WssExt64Bit.msi file and did not install it. And I did choose the Custom installation when running tfpt.msi file. But tfpt.msi automatically detects my OS is 64-bit and displays only the x64 version of the TFS Windows Shell Extension option in the installation wizard. I believe that if I could figure out a way to force the wizard to show me the 32-bit version of the software, then I could solve this problem.

Thanks everyone
Ether

Post by Ether »

sjthebat wrote:I believe that if I could figure out a way to force the wizard to show me the 32-bit version of the software, then I could solve this problem.
Well, I haven't figured a way to fake the OS bitness to Windows Installer, but you can extract the Shell Extension dll from the installation package (there are some MSI plugins for Total Commander, compatible with TC Proxy plugin) and register it using regsvr32. If you need help with that, I could extract it myself.
Ελληνικά rulez.
therube

Post by therube »

That is what, TfsShellExt.dll_x86 ?
(You would need to rename it to TfsShellExt.dll)

---

Universal Extractor is a program designed to decompress and extract files from any type of archive or installer, such as ZIP or RAR files, self-extracting EXE files, application installers, etc.
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
sjthebat

Post by sjthebat »

@Ether, therube
Thank you for your kind suggestions.

I give up. I certainly can extract the dll's out of msi file. But that is the very first step. I then need to figure out which files to extract, and where to put them. And most importantly, the set of registry keys to create and insert to "reg:\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers". And possibly a slew of other things that I need to do, but don't know how. It's just too much effort.

I hope that Salamander can support 64-bit Windows in the near future. Until then, I will shelve Salamander and use Windows Explorer to do TFS source control related tasks.
Ether

Post by Ether »

It's the tfsshellext.dll files (one for each architecture). You need to copy the files somewhere safe, presumably somewhere into the program folder in Program Files. To register the extension, you don't need to edit the registry directly. Just run regsvr32 on it. Example:

Code: Select all

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\TFPT\x86\tfsshellext.dll"
I hope that works. Maybe this extension requires special treatment. If it's needed, I should able to figure out the command as soon as I have some free time.
Attachments
tfsshellext.dll.zip
tfsshellext.dll (x64), tfsshellext.dll (x86)
(283.1 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
Ελληνικά rulez.
sjthebat

Post by sjthebat »

@Ether
I followed your instruction exactly. And I got error message: The module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2008 Power Tools\sj_TfsShellExt_x86\TfsShellExt.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070006.

I really appreciate your help. But actually I have higher expectations of Salamander. I hope it will catch up on supporting 64-bit windows soon, instead of its community trying all sorts of hacks.
Ether

Post by Ether »

sjthebat wrote:the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070006
Yeah, I expected there would be a problem. As I wrote, I'll try to investigate further when I find some spare time (that should be on Thursday).
sjthebat wrote:I hope it will catch up on supporting 64-bit windows soon, instead of its community trying all sorts of hacks.
Well, x64 support is in development (see the voting) and we are all looking forward to it.
Ελληνικά rulez.