Windows 7, connecting network share

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Tester

Windows 7, connecting network share

Post by Tester »

In Windows 7, network shares connected from Salamander are not available (i.e. connected) in the rest of the system and all other applications, and vice versa. It seems Salamander lives in a world of its own regarding connected network shares. I can even connect the very same drive letter in Salamander to a different network location than in Explorer, and both will work accordingly in the respective application. That's not the case in Windows XP. Is there some kind of virtualisation active for Salamander that I don't see?
MartinS

Re: Windows 7, connecting network share

Post by MartinS »

No I guess it is a Windows behavior (since Vista UAC) - if you connect a network share like Admin, it is not visible to non Admin programs and vice versa. You can change this by reg-hack:
1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
2. Locate and then right-click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
3. Point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type EnableLinkedConnections, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click EnableLinkedConnections, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to apply similar trick to drives created by SUBST command - I have to run the SUBST twice, as Admin and nonAdmin.