pdf thumbnails?

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
madoues

pdf thumbnails?

Post by madoues »

Hi,

I am new to Altap Salamander, just testing it for the moment. I really like the ability to zoom thumbnails bigger than explorer and other programs. However, there is no thumbnails for pdf, at least in my win7 computer, whereas explorer shows those thumbnails readily. What needs to be done in order to see pdfs as thumbnails?

Dan
tukanos

Re: pdf thumbnails?

Post by tukanos »

Would you show us some screenshots? My guess is that you have something wrong with your file associations.

I have file association with Fox-it reader and Salamander shows that correctly:
Salamander and PDF thumbnails
Salamander and PDF thumbnails
Salamander_thumbnails.jpg (80.37 KiB) Viewed 12836 times
madoues

Post by madoues »

Not exactly what I am looking for.
Here is a printscreen of my current explorer replacement showing pdfs.

I would to see this with the added ability to zoom as in Altap Salamander.
Dan
salamander pdf thumbs.jpg
salamander pdf thumbs.jpg (99.27 KiB) Viewed 12808 times
tukanos

Post by tukanos »

madoues wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 17:38 Not exactly what I am looking for.
Here is a printscreen of my current explorer replacement showing pdfs.

I would to see this with the added ability to zoom as in Altap Salamander.
Dan

salamander pdf thumbs.jpg
Ah, that is indeed something different. You want to see "preview" of the pdf contents. I bet you are using windows 10. I can not help here as I'm still on win7 x64.

Out of curiosity you are using Adobe Reader to render or it is a "native" windows functionality?
madoues

Post by madoues »

Thanks for your reply, tukanos.

I also am on Windows 7 x64.

I have tried four programs as default open pdf viewer in both Window file explorer and in my other dual-pane explorer replacement.
Both work fine with all pdf programs. Even Irfanview, an image program, set as default pdf viewer, shows pdf "previews" correctly.

There must be a plugin or some setting that should be done in Altap Salamander that I am missing to have pdf previews.
Maybe an optional plugin that is not included in the trial version? Is there any functionality that is removed in the trial version?

On your Win7 computer, do you see pdf thumbnail previews in Altap Salamander?

Dan
tukanos

Post by tukanos »

You are welcome Dan. Apparently I have guessed wrong with the Windows version :).

First it is important to say that the trail version of AS is fully functional for the 30-days period.

I have made some tests to see what is the current situation. I do not use this functionality very often. I see the previews in Explorer.

First is to say that on Altap salamander pages they do declare this functionality being present: https://www.altap.cz/salamander/feature ... il-images/. This should be changed to reflect new reality or new re-rendering engine is to be found because now this part is missing.

The most probable reason is why you don't see the previews same as in Windows Explorer is that there is an internal viewer used for the Thumbnails view called PictView. There was a part of it called Eroiica (used for re-rendering pdf and other files), which was present till AS 3.04, but to quote the developers :
Unfortunately we cannot ship Eroiica Viewer with Altap Salamander anymore. From AS 3.05 changelog :

Eroiica Viewer plugin is removed and will no longer be part of Altap Salamander. We are sorry for inconvenience, unfortunately the underlying rendering engine cannot be licensed anymore. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you know any suitable rendering engine that can be bundled with Altap Salamander, please contact us on support@altap.cz. Thank you.

Following file extensions were handled (F3 hotkey) by Eroiica Viewer plugin:
bla,ckd,doc,docx,dot,emf,eps,cgm,dg,dgn,drw,dsi,dwf,dwg,dxf,gbr,gbx,grb,hpgl,igs,pps,ppt,pct,pict,plt,prt,pdf,ps,
rdl,ris,rtf,rtl,shp,sldasm,slddrw,sldprt,vsd,pptx,xlsx,odp,odt,ods,sxw,sxi,sxc,sxd,stw,shx,wmf,wp,wpd,wpf,wri,xls,xlt
The whole thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8614&hilit=eroiica

I have tried to find the registry item which could tell us which thumbnails are supported now.

I have found it here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Altap\Altap Salamander 3.08\Plugins\18
and the key name is: ThumbnailMasks.

This will show what kind of files are now supported for Thumbnail preview:
*.mng;*.dtx;*.dds;*.nef;*.crw;*.eps;*.ept;*.ai;*.raf;*.mov;*.hpi;*.pntg;*.thumb;*.tiff;*.wbmp;*.mbm;*.ani;*.psp*;*.clk;*.thm;*.zno;*.st;*.cals;*.itiff;*.jfif;*.jpeg;*.macp;*.mpnt;*.paint;*.pict;*.2bp;*.stw;*.sun;*.tga;*.tif;*.udi;*.web;*.wpg;*.xar;*.zbr;*.zmf;*.bw;*.psd;*.pyx;*.qfx;*.ras;*.rgb;*.rle;*.sam;*.scx;*.sep;*.sgi;*.ska;*.pat;*.pbm;*.pc2;*.pcd;*.pct;*.pcx;*.pgm;*.pic;*.png;*.pnm;*.ppm;*.jff;*.jif;*.jmx;*.jpe;*.jpg;*.lbm;*.mac;*.mil;*.msp;*.ofx;*.pan;*.flc;*.fli;*.gem;*.gif;*.ham;*.hmr;*.hrz;*.icn;*.ico;*.iff;*.img;*.cdt;*.cel;*.clp;*.cit;*.cmx;*.cot;*.cpt;*.cur;*.cut;*.dcx;*.dib;*.82i;*.83i;*.85i;*.86i;*.89i;*.92i;*.awd;*.bmi;*.bmp;*.cal;*.cdr;*.arw;*.blp;*.cr2;*.dng;*.orf;*.pef;
madoues

Post by madoues »

Ok, thanks for your very thorough explanation, tukanos

The bottom line is that the function I would like doesn't exist any longer in Altap Salamander, which is a shame.

I could be wrong but to me, "the rendering engine cannot be licensed any more"
sounds like someone (or an organization) is being greedy and/or monopolistic, which is also a shame.

Much thanks again for your help and your time in checking into this for me. It is greatly appreciated.

Dan
tukanos

Post by tukanos »

Ok, thanks for your very thorough explanation, tukanos
You are welcome. I like to understand what is really happening.
The bottom line is that the function I would like doesn't exist any longer in Altap Salamander, which is a shame.
True, it is really a shame. I hope they could replace it but they probably did not find any suitable replacement. You can help the developers and send them information if you have any such viewer that could be licensed.

I personally found these viewers, but I don't know if they could be integrated into the AS code (code, structure, API, costs, etc.):

Universal Viewer- http://www.uvviewsoft.com/uviewer/

XtremeDocumentStudio (C++, .NET, Delphi) - https://www.gnostice.com/XtremeDocument ... ot_NET.asp or https://www.gnostice.com/XtremeDocument ... Delphi.asp

Ultra File Opener - http://www.ultrafileopener.com/

FreeFileViewer (Free File Viewer itself is not open source software but contains LGPL version of FFmpeg)- http://www.freefileviewer.com/source.html
I could be wrong but to me, "the rendering engine cannot be licensed any more"
sounds like someone (or an organization) is being greedy and/or monopolistic, which is also a shame.
I even checked that. The company Parallax69 Software International limited went out of business (most likely bankrupt) - https://rejstriky.finance.cz/firma-para ... i-25341138 (In Czech). Last version of their Eroiica Profi viewer was released on 19th of April 2012.
Much thanks again for your help and your time in checking into this for me. It is greatly appreciated.
You are welcome Dan. I hope you still will like AS.