Context Menu

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
randeregg

Context Menu

Post by randeregg »

Since the last windows update for me, the context menu sometimes stops working on certain network drives. I can right click an item but nothings happens, also if i press enter on a file the registered program does not start.

On the same drive in windows file explorer everything works as expected.

On other drives in salamander it works as expected.

When in restart the Computer everything is back to normal.

3.08 (x86)

Any hints for this problem?

TIA
SelfMan

Re: Context Menu

Post by SelfMan »

I think that its caused by some Shell Extension (like for GitHub or SVN and others.)
Check https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html and disable those extensions, reboot and re-test.
randeregg

Post by randeregg »

Hello and thank you for your quick reply.

I have multiple Shell Extensions running, but the strange thing is it happen only on one Drive "v:" (a Samba Drive) other drives (also samba drives) work fine with all the shell extensions. Also in windows explorer on drive "v:" the context menu works. What i forgot to mention is that also drag&drop dosent work if the failure occurs.

If i check with this tool, arent the entries for every drive?

Im working since about 10 Years with Servant Salamander, i never had such issues. But i installed some days ago the windows meltdown update at work and at home .. just after this update these things begann to happen.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Hi, as I wrote many times before, in most cases these failures are not caused by Salamander but due Faulty shellextensions. So the first step here is allways to try to disable the Shell extensions. (They can be allways re-enables, so no worries here)
Did you also update the tools you are using? If one network drive does not have the problem and the other does, you should check for the differences between them. (file permissions, access rights, UAC settings)
Check the WER (windows error reporting) folder for any crah reports.
C:\Users\<your login>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive or ..\WER\ReportQueue
If the crashing application is elevated, the dumps will be located at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\

Settings are controlled by the following registry entries:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\
Disabled =1
LoggingDisabled =0
ForceQueue =1