Application crash and corrupted configuration

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
SelfMan

Application crash and corrupted configuration

Post by SelfMan »

Hi guys.
My Salamander crashed today while closing the application. After that, it started to complain about corrupted configuration in the windows registry.
This has been mentioned here a few times already. While Salamnder complains about the configuration beeing corrupted, it actually does not mean it has to be corrupted.

Now i have a little workarround for that, which allows you a normal application start.

While Salamander 3.08 is exiting or storing the configuration, it creates a new entry of type DWORD32 and value 1 in the registry:
"HKCU\Software\Altap\Altap Salamander 3.08\Save In Progress" .
The value is removed after the successfull storage of the configuration. it is not enough to set the parameter to 0 (zero).
So if the configuration is not really corrupted and the parameter removed, the application will start as usual.
The restart of Windows is not needed.

#corrupted configuration
#registry
#crash
SvA

Re: Application crash and corrupted configuration

Post by SvA »

Just a warning: if you do this, you risk a buggy, instable Salamander, because configuraion data indeed may be incomplete and inconsistent. Avoid it if possible. Also you might loose things like plugins,user menu entries, ftp sites, viewers and editors ...

In a case of corruption, I tend to export the configuration using regedit and merge it with a previously saved configuration. With some forensic intuition you should be able to figure out, how the structures and relations should be.
If you do this, remember to delete the 'Save In Progress' value from the merged registry file and the old configuration from the registry entirely before importing the merged reg file.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

I forgot to mention that after you start the application, you might immediately use the Options > Save configuration
I believe that the values from the registry are checked befor they are loaded/used. This is more of a question to the developers, how "dangerous" this procedure is.
garryjoshi

Post by garryjoshi »

Salamander (v3.08) is constantly crashing on Win 10 after the recent system updates. How do fix it??
garryjoshi

Post by garryjoshi »

I have the error logs where shall I send them?
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

The most probable cause of the crash is some faulty shellextension.
Use ShellExView from Nirsoft to disable all non standard extensions and enable them later one by one to find the faulty one.