Problem with external hard-disk

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
tdrees

Problem with external hard-disk

Post by tdrees »

Hi,

I'm not sure, but there maybe a problem with SS and external hard-disks that are connected to the pc using firewire or usb.

If you copy a large amount of data to such a disc, it happened to me twice that the drive became unaccessable, so I had to format it. Using explorer everything is fine.

Regards,

Torsten
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Was there some error message displayed by Servant Salamander or Windows?
Tomas Kopal
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Problem with external hard-disk

Post by Tomas Kopal »

tdrees wrote:Hi,

I'm not sure, but there maybe a problem with SS and external hard-disks that are connected to the pc using firewire or usb.

If you copy a large amount of data to such a disc, it happened to me twice that the drive became unaccessable, so I had to format it. Using explorer everything is fine.

Regards,

Torsten
I am regularly using 80GB disk connected using USB 2.0 and I never had any problem (and I never used Explorer with it :-) ). I am afraid you will have to gather a bit more information about the problem first to help us find the cause...
paul hofseth

no faults transferring to external HDD via USB2 yet

Post by paul hofseth »

I only use SS for fila management , reguularly move from 1 to 5GB between one stationary and one portable machine and one small 40G WD usb 2 disk and one larger LaCie usb 2 disk. No problems yet.

DO keep in mind that some USB2 disks getting their current through the USB cable may be drawing more than your machines USBport can support. This may be one cause of unstability.

ph
Roman

Post by Roman »

I've also been using SS with portable drives for years and haven't experienced a problem.
grymmjack

Post by grymmjack »

I have no problems that are specific to SS for this issue. I use an external enclosure (USB 2.0/1394 dual but USB 2.0 connection) with a 250gig western digital disk, with no errors or problems. I have used a thumbstick as well (SanDisk Cruizer Mini 512mB) with no issues, as well as a Lexar all-in-one memory card/flash card media reader with out any problems ever.

If I were a betting man I would say it's not SS but your configuration or hardware. Run some diags on your HDD, and make sure that your external enclosure is up to snuff in terms of steady stream of power (if it is a self powered device it shouldn't be an issue, however if it gets its power over USB cable and you max out your USB bandwidth with other devices, that could be a problem).

Good luck
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

I have this problem too.

Sometimes i backup from an DELL Latitude over USB 1.1
to one or an other off a few different external usb disks.

We talk about a few gigabytes, maybe 4GB when this problem occure.

The start is OK, but often i get an message like
"Divice ?\xxxxx\xxxxxx\xxxx not availeble. Data could not be stored."
Or like this. The next time i will wrote it down.

I guess the problem starts behind 1 or 2 GB of copied data.

If i use an other manager there is no problem to copy all those GBs of data.
So there is no hardware problem.

If i copy only a few hundred of MBs there was never a problem, only with more then one gig.

---

Hmm, this problem i have had with usb-stick of 256MB too.
But there i was thinking it was the stick wich goes mad.
And than this stick gone unaccesible.
Stefan
Pleased user since v1.52        -   Licence# 0306-0046-01
eddywillaert

Post by eddywillaert »

I use SS regularly to copy files up to 10GB from one external USB 2.0 drive to another (Maxtor 250GB and Netdisk 160GB) and at the same time copying large files over the internal network as well.
Never had a problem...

I guess the problem is somewhere in your hardware (USB or HDD).

Tried another HDD yet, or another USB-connector ?
Artur Zinatullin

Post by Artur Zinatullin »

tdrees wrote:it happened to me twice that the drive became unaccessable, so I had to format it. Using explorer everything is fine.
I am using SS as my everyday file manager.
No problem using it with USB drives have occured.
My only guess, might be, that Your USB port gives not enaugh power and HDD glitches on large amounts of data. Or drive is not properly unmounted before it id disconnected.
maxovt

Post by maxovt »

I am using SS 1.52 at work (because of License issue 8) ) and haven't any problems with USB drives.