Salamander 2.52 Fails File Comparison

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
vld

Post by vld »

I burned a DVD a few weeks ago and forgot exactly where it was from. I burned another this week and realized the contents were similar. SO I wanted to be sure they were exact. I compared entire contents of the disks including the subfolder and it displayed a difference in 1 file...4 gig in size. I ran the test twice and both time it showed a miscompare. I then extracted the original file from the ISO and created and MD5 from the file. I then created and MD5 from both DVD's. All of the MD5 files matched. Am I comparing files incorrectly with Salamander or is there a file size limit?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Salamander 2.52 Fails File Comparison

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Could it differ only in file time or attributes? The MD5 checksum would not indicate it.
What options did you use to compare both directories?
vld

Post by vld »

I never select Date/Time for my file comparisons. I selected Size/Contents/CompareSubdirectories.

While we are on File Comparison. For future, I would love to see the ability to output to a TXT file. When comparing subdirectories, I have to do each miscompared sub-folder individually to pinpoint the file
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

vld wrote:I never select Date/Time for my file comparisons. I selected Size/Contents/CompareSubdirectories.
Could you please compare only these 4GB files, each (alone) in one directory? Turn off the Compare subdirectories option. What is exact size of this file?
vld wrote:While we are on File Comparison. For future, I would love to see the ability to output to a TXT file. When comparing subdirectories, I have to do each miscompared sub-folder individually to pinpoint the file
Please crate a new feature request thread for this.
therube

Post by therube »

Might you have run into a background process (thread) that had not yet completed?

WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
vld

Post by vld »

Jan Rysavy wrote:
vld wrote:I never select Date/Time for my file comparisons. I selected Size/Contents/CompareSubdirectories.
Could you please compare only these 4GB files, each (alone) in one directory? Turn off the Compare subdirectories option. What is exact size of this file?
I have, that's why I went the process of creating MD5 files. Comparing the files alone shows a miscompare. Getting the MD5 hash of the files shows a match. The file size is 4,305,318,674
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Thank you!

Could you please test MD5 checksums of both files with other software?
For example with http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/

Regarding the Compare command in Salamander: how long does it take to compare these 4GB files? Is it similar to time of Copy operation? Is 100% reached on progress bar?
vld

Post by vld »

I used 2 different apps to check/create MD5's. One was HashTab and the other was QSFV. Both created matching MD5 files.
Jan Rysavy wrote:Regarding the Compare command in Salamander: how long does it take to compare these 4GB files? Is it similar to time of Copy operation? Is 100% reached on progress bar?
Yes, it appears that the copy process time is equivalent to the file compare time and YES, it does appear to hit 100% since when looking at the file difference, you can see the difference in the entire file.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

vld wrote:it does appear to hit 100% since when looking at the file difference, you can see the difference in the entire file.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the part about file difference. Did you use some file comparing utility to display differences? What do you mean with "you can see the difference in the entire file"?

This problem looks really strange. Right now I see only one way how to continue: we can prepare special (TRACED) version of Salamander. Could you run it with your files and send us logs?
vld

Post by vld »

Jan Rysavy wrote:This problem looks really strange. Right now I see only one way how to continue: we can prepare special (TRACED) version of Salamander. Could you run it with your files and send us logs?
I would be glad to run a trace for you.
therube

Post by therube »

it does appear to hit 100% since when looking at the file difference, you can see the difference in the entire file.
Nonetheless, that does not mean that it has finished the comparison.
Per the thread I linked to, as the compare runs, you will notice the window header line says, "... - Computing Differences".
It is not until it actually reports the number of differences (perhaps up to a max of 32,768?) that it is actually finished.

On your 4GB files, File Comparator actually does show some (points out some) difference between the two files? Or is it only when comparing the directory trees that it flags the files? I.e., did you actually run File Comparator on the two files themselves?

There have been odd times when to me at least, directory trees should have compared, but for whatever reason did not. Yet the individual files within did compare. Time/date seemingly taken into consideration too.

If you were to change the File Comparator options from file type Auto Detect to Binary, is there any difference?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

therube, he is using Commands > Compare Directories command, not the Plugins > File Comparator.
filecompare.png
filecompare.png (29.29 KiB) Viewed 11535 times
vld, could you please try the Plugins > File Comparator plugin with your files?
therube

Post by therube »

Heh. I was confusing/intermingling the two in my mind. And actually was posting about both, above :roll:.

Does Compare Directories, Content, call the File Comparator plugin (in a non-GUI mode, obviously), or does it use its own internal routine when comparing Content?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Compare Directories command uses own routine. You can remove any Salamander plugin and core commands (outside the Plugins menu) will still work.
vld

Post by vld »

Actually both fail the 4gig file. Compare Directories shows a miscompare in the folder which contained the file and File Compare also shows a file miscompare, but MD5 hash value of each file matches.