short freezes/hangups

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
GrimmReaperNL

short freezes/hangups

Post by GrimmReaperNL »

Hi there,

First I'd like to thank you for a kick-ass file browser. I seem to be hanving some minor problems though.
From time to time AS will decide to freeze for a few seconds, exact time is unknown and differs from time to time.
I changed AS's icon to blue and when it freeze's it's icon will temporarily change back to the default yellow.

I'm using AS 2.5 on Vista with UAC disabled.
Any hint's and/or tips to stop these hangups?

Thanks!
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: short freezes/hangups

Post by zarevak »

Sadly I have to confirm this problem. I'm not sure if my case is the same as the OP's.

I'm using fully updated Windows XP SP3 Pro and Altap Salamander 2.52. The freezes occur just after returning from my tool (written in .Net) which updated/created some files in the folder opened in Salamander. It's annoying, but it lasts just about a second. Probably the panel refresh locks up the whole Salamander window :(

Thank you for solving the issue ;) Tell me, if you need any more information...
Ether

Post by Ether »

I agree that it's caused by refreshing the panel, that's the first explanation I came up with. The best solution would be moving the refresh into a separate thread, as in the Network Plugin (and I hope this will be implemented sometime in the future). You can work around this problem by messing with the Use automatic refresh settings in Options > Configuration... > Drives.
Ελληνικά rulez.
GrimmReaperNL

Post by GrimmReaperNL »

i've just tried with the 'auto refresh' disabled on all available options and it's still freezing so..
if that IS the problem, your temp fix is not working for me.

I sometimes even get this when just scrolling through a dir or when i'm just trying to open one.
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

GrimmReaperNL wrote:i've just tried with the 'auto refresh' disabled on all available options and it's still freezing so..
Do you by any chance have the thumbnail view? If so, does the freeze depend on the type of files in the folder?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

zarevak wrote:It's annoying, but it lasts just about a second. Probably the panel refresh locks up the whole Salamander window :(
Could you reproduce this problem? It would be helpful to have logs from traced version of Salamander (we can prepare it).
When you press Ctrl+R in the same directory, how long it takes?
GrimmReaperNL

Post by GrimmReaperNL »

Jan Patera wrote:
GrimmReaperNL wrote:i've just tried with the 'auto refresh' disabled on all available options and it's still freezing so..
Do you by any chance have the thumbnail view? If so, does the freeze depend on the type of files in the folder?
nope i use the 'detail' view.
Ether

Post by Ether »

GrimmReaperNL wrote:I sometimes even get this when just scrolling through a dir or when i'm just trying to open one.
Well, that's not caused by auto-refresh, or any refresh at all. This looks more like on access scanning - caused by an antivirus or some icon overlay shell extension. Have you any of these installed, if yes which ones?
Ελληνικά rulez.
GrimmReaperNL

Post by GrimmReaperNL »

ether wrote:
GrimmReaperNL wrote:I sometimes even get this when just scrolling through a dir or when i'm just trying to open one.
Well, that's not caused by auto-refresh, or any refresh at all. This looks more like on access scanning - caused by an antivirus or some icon overlay shell extension. Have you any of these installed, if yes which ones?
antivirus = mcafee
icon overlay = well, i have no idea really. i've not installed anyting extra, not on purpose anyway..
Ether

Post by Ether »

Does this happen in any other program, such as Explorer or Open/Save windows?
Ελληνικά rulez.
GrimmReaperNL

Post by GrimmReaperNL »

well, i don't use explorer (<3 AS :P) but it doesn't happen in open/save windows.
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

GrimmReaperNL wrote:well, i don't use explorer (<3 AS :P).
Well, none of us does so ;-). Can you try it to help troubleshooting?
GrimmReaperNL

Post by GrimmReaperNL »

Jan Patera wrote:
GrimmReaperNL wrote:well, i don't use explorer (<3 AS :P).
Well, none of us does so ;-). Can you try it to help troubleshooting?
hehe, sure.
during a couple of hours of using explorer, it as not had a freeze or hiccup. being fed up with it and changing back to AS, AS froze on being switched to (both apps where open and i just alt+tab'ed to AS).

it's not a 1 second either like with zarevak. it's longer, more around 30 seconds.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

GrimmReaperNL wrote:it's longer, more around 30 seconds.
Great! Please start two instances of AS 2.52. In one instance open the Help > Task List window, choose the second instance and prepare to click the Break button.
Then switch to the other AS and freeze it. Switch back to the Task List windows and click the Break. Bug report should be displayed. Please send it to my email jan.rysavy@altap.cz.
GrimmReaperNL wrote:I'm using AS 2.5 on Vista with UAC disabled.
Note: please upgrade to version 2.52. Your problem could be already fixed there.
GrimmReaperNL

Post by GrimmReaperNL »

Jan Rysavy wrote:
GrimmReaperNL wrote:it's longer, more around 30 seconds.
Great! Please start two instances of AS 2.52. In one instance open the Help > Task List window, choose the second instance and prepare to click the Break button.
Then switch to the other AS and freeze it. Switch back to the Task List windows and click the Break. Bug report should be displayed. Please send it to my email jan.rysavy@altap.cz.
GrimmReaperNL wrote:I'm using AS 2.5 on Vista with UAC disabled.
Note: please upgrade to version 2.52. Your problem could be already fixed there.
i've tried 2.52 before but that had the same behavior. i've send you a bug report using 2.5