AS 2.52 feels much slower than 2.51

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
camper

AS 2.52 feels much slower than 2.51

Post by camper »

See title bar. Especially when copying files it often takes 1 or 2 seconds until the copied file(s) occur in AS 2.52. With 2.51 they instantly were visible. Since a couple of years each new SS/AS version has been an improvement compared to the previous one - 2.52 breaks this rule - it feels much worse than the previous version.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: AS 2.52 feels much slower than 2.51

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Could you reproduce this problem? Please try to (temporarily) install AS 2.51 and make sure the 2.52 is really slower side by side on same operations.

There could be another cause of the problem, typically anti-virus software.

AS 2.51 is available at ftp://ftp.altap.cz/pub/altap/salamand/as251.exe
Specify some unique directory during installation.
camper

Post by camper »

This problem is not 100% reproducible, but for 90%. For example, AS 2.52 feels much slower invoking the file viewer, pressing ESC and trying to select a new file. Often, it takes approx. 1 or 2 seconds for AS until it becomes responsive after having pressed ESC in the AS file viewer. I don't have these problems with AS 2.51 (which is installed in parallel).
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It looks like some problem on your computer. We have tens of thousands AS 2.52 installed right now and other users are not complaining, as you can see on this forum.
therube

Post by therube »

This thread, Problem: Delayed View and Delete Operations, dealt with CTFMON.EXE & slow file views.

At the time, it was the change from SS 2.0 to AS 2.5 that made it apparent. I would not have expected a change in that regard going between 2.51 & 2.52, but it is easy enough to look into.

(Knowing the problems that ctfmon.exe can cause, I automatically nix it from any computer I get in contact with. So in that respect, I don't know if there has been any change with the interaction between ctfmon & AS since the time of my original post.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

therube wrote:(Knowing the problems that ctfmon.exe can cause, I automatically nix it from any computer I get in contact with. So in that respect, I don't know if there has been any change with the interaction between ctfmon & AS since the time of my original post.)
Good catch, thank you!
Camper, please try to look at ctfmon.exe. It could cause this problem.

Note
Another similar problem: http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3572