Shutdown problems on XP Pro

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
camper

Shutdown problems on XP Pro

Post by camper »

I'm using XP Pro (32 bit) and if I select to shut down Windows if Altap Salamander 2.52 is still running, it only works for one of three tries. If I exit AS before, there is no problem at all. I can't remember that this already was a problem with AS 2.51.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Shutdown problems on XP Pro

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Does it depend on state of Salamander? I mean some opened windows (Find, Viewers, Help, dialog boxes, etc.), opened archives, opened file systems such as FTP or WinSCP?

Could you reproduce this problem just by starting one instance of Salamander with your local disks in left and right panel (do nothing there) and performing Windows shutdown?
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Install the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service.
The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending. This can result in problems when using Roaming User Profiles in a server environment or when using locked profiles as implemented through the Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP.
camper

Post by camper »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Does it depend on state of Salamander? I mean some opened windows (Find, Viewers, Help, dialog boxes, etc.), opened archives, opened file systems such as FTP or WinSCP?

Could you reproduce this problem just by starting one instance of Salamander with your local disks in left and right panel (do nothing there) and performing Windows shutdown?
The AS is always in "normal state" without any dialog open. I'm using local hard disks 99% of the times, almost never a network share (my machine is in a workgroup and hence its profile locally available). One more idea which could be related: I'm working as plain user account (no admin or main (?) user) and have surun installed.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

I have added some TRACE messages to WM_QUERYENDSESSION + saving all TRACE messages to temporary file, so we can debug this problem. Please wait for the first 2.53 preview build, then I'll prepare special build for you to debug this problem. Send me email (petr.solin at altap.cz), I'll send you link to that special build when it is ready.
camper

Post by camper »

I've disabled ctfmon.exe as described here and it looks like this problem is gone now.
camper

Post by camper »

Sorry to say, no the problems are back. Every evening, Altap Salamander is the last running application and I have to exit it explicitly because otherwise Windows XP won't shut down. :( The problem is the same with the 2.53 beta 1.
camper

Post by camper »

I also have these problems on Windows 7, so it seems not to be a Windows XP problem, but might be related to other applications I have running.

While XP just does not shut down, on Windows 7 an error is telling me that AS 2.53beta1 does not respond.