DiskMap hangs and crashes Salamander

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
mdruiter

DiskMap hangs and crashes Salamander

Post by mdruiter »

I tried the new DiskMap plugin, on two different computers, on the root of their largest partitions (C: on one, D: on the other). On both systems, after calculating during some time, it hangs. It does not respond to Esc, nothing. :(
When I unload the plugin, or close Salamander, I get the error "DiskMap window close failed". After that, Salamander crashes. I just sent the crash report by e-mail.
I narrowed it down to a specific file. It is a *compressed* file of 65536 null bytes (attached for convenience).

Hope this helps!

Oh, and when it does work, I really like this new functionality! :D
Attachments
zerobytes.txt
Save this file, NTFS compress it, and then try the DiskMap plugin
(64 KiB) Downloaded 337 times
Groente, Michel.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: DiskMap hangs and crashes Salamander

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Could you please start two instances of AS, hang the first one and from the second choose Help > Task List command and break the hanged instance the Break button?
Bug report window should appear in the hanged instance. Please send use it's content.
thomas
Translator
Translator

Post by thomas »

Yesterday, DiskMap freezed. I could only kill the complete Salamander prozess. For Bug report its to late. :(
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

Jan, please find attached the crash report.
Attachments
DiskMap hang.txt
(25.54 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Groente, Michel.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

Thank you mdruiter for your great bug report! I was able to reproduce the problem and fix it ;-)

The interresting thing is Salamander and the DiskMap plugin report the the file occopies 0 bytes, but Windows (XP) Explorer reports size on disk to be 4kbytes. (When compressed the file becomes Sparse file and only contains information about the one zero-filled block)

Should DiskMap display size of the file according to Windows Explorer as 4 kbytes or according to Salamander as 0 bytes?
Ether

Post by Ether »

zarevak wrote:Should DiskMap display size of the file according to Windows Explorer as 4 kbytes or according to Salamander as 0 bytes?
That depends on the real occupied disk space - the file could be actually stored somewhere in the MFT (Shred Files command warns about this after processing files smaller than 1024 B) or it could really occupy one cluster (~ 4096 B).
Ελληνικά rulez.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

AFAIK all files smaller than 512 bytes are storred in MFT. Currently DiskMap doesn't handle this as I don't know any way of detecting files stored in MFT without reading the MFT directly. Reading the MFT requires admin (backup) privileges... (I'm not even sure if 512 bytes is The magic number or it depends on other things as well)

In this one case the whole file is storred in MFT...
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

zarevak wrote:Should DiskMap display size of the file according to Windows Explorer as 4 kbytes or according to Salamander as 0 bytes?
It probably doesn't matter, be we prefer to report same size according to Salamander instead of Windows Explorer.
mdruiter

Post by mdruiter »

zarevak wrote:I was able to reproduce the problem and fix it
Confirmed using PB38, thank you!