FTP Search / Archie

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
thomas
Translator
Translator

FTP Search / Archie

Post by thomas »

Hi,

it looks like that the search engine archie doesn't work anymore.
Search engine archie
Search engine archie
Archie.png (10.41 KiB) Viewed 9599 times
thomas
Translator
Translator

Re: FTP Search / Archie

Post by thomas »

The same problem with Archie in Altap Salamander 2.52!
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We are considering removing the FTP Search plugin from Salamander because it doesn't seem useful anymore.

EDIT: See menu Plugins > FTP Search > Search the Internet for Files. It is not related to FTP Client.

Does anybody still use it? Please let us know...
Ether

Post by Ether »

I've stopped using it because I had thought it doesn't work anymore (there were more search engines and most of them didn't work) and I was surprised that it actually still works. But the idea of searching public FTP servers is not useful anymore. Every project has its list of FTP mirrors. Maybe you could just remove it from standard Salamander installation and leave it as a separate and unsupported download.
Ελληνικά rulez.
vld

Post by vld »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We are considering removing the FTP Search plugin from Salamander because it doesn't seem useful anymore.

I use it instead of CuteFTP and FileZilla, but yes it has problems connecting to some sites. I would love to see you fix the problems and leave the plug-in. Adding additional program to do a simple FTP and other functions gets to be annoying. I vote to leave the plug-in in the app.
Ether

Post by Ether »

vld wrote:I use it instead of CuteFTP and FileZilla, but yes it has problems connecting to some sites. I would love to see you fix the problems and leave the plug-in. Adding additional program to do a simple FTP and other functions gets to be annoying. I vote to leave the plug-in in the app.
Are you sure you're talking about the same thing as we do (Plugins > FTP Search > Search the Internet for Files...)? I didn't know that CuteFTP or FileZilla had an FTP search feature.
Ελληνικά rulez.
vld

Post by vld »

My Bad...I thought it was about the FTP client/ In either case, leave it in there and work on the issue. I just used the search and got a result back. I would suggest have a public beta for the plug-in to get the issues resolved.

BTW....CuteFTP does have a FILE and MP3 search feature.
thomas
Translator
Translator

Post by thomas »

Please, don't remove this plugin. The search engine "File search" works perfectly, perhaps you can add more search engines. An alernative for "Archie", when you can not solve the issue.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

We can release this plugin open source. Is there anyone interested in further plugin development?

Requested knowledge: Microsoft Visual C++, regular expressions.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We can release this plugin open source.
That would be a good thing to do.
Jan Rysavy wrote:Requested knowledge: Microsoft Visual C++, regular expressions.
And to know about some working FTP search engines.
Ελληνικά rulez.
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

Jan Rysavy wrote:We are considering removing the FTP Search plugin from Salamander because it doesn't seem useful anymore.
I just wanted to investigate some issue with unRAR.dll. The author's site rarlabs.com offers only the latest version for download (unrarsrc-3.9.6.tar.gz). I needed some older version, but I didn't know the version number, I only knew approximate release date. I used the FTP Search plugin to find all files "unrarsrc". I got the results much faster than I would with google.