252b2 - FTP won't connect with changed ports

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: 252b2 - FTP won't connect with changed ports

Post by Petr Solin »

vld wrote:Is it possible by changing the port number, some other setting in the plugin gets screwed up causing it not to work????
This is definitely not problem on the client side. Filezilla has some method how to recover from this server problem, our client does not. In previous case (http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3491) server incorrectly sends its private IP address (inaccessible from FTP client placed outside of private network with the server) instead of expected public IP address. Do you think it is the same problem here? Can you send at least first two numbers from PASV reply? (I expect "227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,..."). And please send also first two numbers from server's IP address. Thanks!
vld

Post by vld »

Here's what I get:

Code: Select all

PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
(17:24:17): Changing path to "/"...
(17:24:17): Listing path "/"...
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (172,16,.........)
TYPE A
200 Type set to A (ASCII)
LIST
150 Opening connection
(17:24:39): Data connection error: (10060) A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
(17:24:48): Sending or aborting of list command has timed out. Note: if data transfer was not started, try to
change transfer mode (see Connect to FTP Server dialog > Advanced > Use passive transfer mode)
(17:25:00): Text listing was parsed by "IBM z/VM (CMS) 1" server type...
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Thanks! IP address range 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 is reserved as private address space, so it confirms that the problem is the same as http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3491. OK, I'll try to bypass this server problem, couple of years it was unknown for us, now it is tending to be frequent. ;-)

One more question, what are the first two numbers from the server IP address? (Try "ping server-name" or read it from FTP log.)
Ether

Post by Ether »

Jan Rysavy wrote:How is this problem connected to PORT number?
It works on 21 but doesn't on 10156.
I can only guess that the router between the client and the server is smart enough to translate addresses in FTP :21 traffic, but not with other ports. Or something else, I'm not sure.
vld wrote:Is it possible by changing the port number, some other setting in the plugin gets screwed up causing it not to work????
It could as well be that the server got screwed up.
Petr Solin wrote:OK, I'll try to bypass this server problem, couple of years it was unknown for us, now it is tending to be frequent. ;-)
Excellent.

Anyway, I think it'll be interesting to see the logs (with the IPs) after changing the listening port on the server back to 21.
Ελληνικά rulez.
vld

Post by vld »

Petr Solin wrote:One more question, what are the first two numbers from the server IP address?
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

OK, thanks. It's not in private IP address range (as expected).
vld

Post by vld »

Are there any updates to the ftp plugin yet?
vld

Post by vld »

BUMP
Not sure if this is related, but I just installed Beta#2 and tried the FTP plugin on GoDaddy.com. I was able to connect and it just hung waiting to download directory listing.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Sorry, no updates, try to change transfer mode (passive (PASV)/active(PORT)).
vld

Post by vld »

Bummer. I could not even use this on GoDaddy.com and had to resort to FireFTP