Microsoft Windows Network not found

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
chweiss

Microsoft Windows Network not found

Post by chweiss »

Hello,

I'm a user of the Altap Salamander for many years and I'm very satisfied with it. But now, I have a Problem with the "Microsoft Windows Network". When I try to activate the Network
Altap_01.JPG
Altap_01.JPG (43.08 KiB) Viewed 11978 times
I got an Errormessage
Altap_02.JPG
Altap_02.JPG (14.56 KiB) Viewed 11978 times

Can you Help me? :?:

Why can't you realize the "Network"-Function like in Total Commander??? :D :D :D
SelfMan

Re: Microsoft Windows Network not found

Post by SelfMan »

The probable reason is that there is no master browser in the network. Usually its the first computer which starts on the network who becomes the master browser. (talking about a simple peer-to-peer network).

This was mostly a problem with WIndows XP and older systems.
In Windows 7 and up, when you try to browse the network, you are usually presented with a dialog about alowing the network discovery.
like this one Its also possible that you network configuration switched from "Work network" to "Public".
Here is some info about how to switch the network.
chweiss

Post by chweiss »

Thank you very much for your reply. But there is all right in the windows explorer, the whole Network is shown! Total Commander even shows the whole network. Only Altap Salamander doesn't. :(
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

How are you running Salamander? As user or as administrator? Do you have any Security suite installed? (ESET Smart Security, Symantec security etc) Which possibly blocks the network acess to salamander. Also did you try to disable the firewall?
tukanos

Post by tukanos »

chweiss wrote:Hello,

I'm a user of the Altap Salamander for many years and I'm very satisfied with it. But now, I have a Problem with the "Microsoft Windows Network". When I try to activate the Network

Altap_01.JPG

I got an Errormessage

Altap_02.JPG.

Can you Help me? :?:

Why can't you realize the "Network"-Function like in Total Commander??? :D :D :D
Did you try UNC path (Uniform Naming Convention)? Or mapped drives? Does that work for you?
chweiss

Post by chweiss »

Hello, UNC-Pathes are working, even mapped drives. The problem appears, wether I'd run Salamander as user or admin.

It seems, it's not a Altap Salamander specific problem. On my Workstation everything is fine, but on the new Notebook the problem appears.
tukanos

Post by tukanos »

chweiss wrote:Hello, UNC-Pathes are working, even mapped drives. The problem appears, wether I'd run Salamander as user or admin.

It seems, it's not a Altap Salamander specific problem. On my Workstation everything is fine, but on the new Notebook the problem appears.
Then the issue is most likely as SelfMan said, some antivirus, anti-malware, firewall, etc. Disable as much as you can or even uninstall it and then try again.
bite me

Post by bite me »

I have the same problem as the original poster, cannot access SMB file sharing on other Microsoft running computers. I tried turning off the Microsoft firewall without any luck. What changed on my end is a new Windows 10 64-bit computer. When my network as all Windows 7 machines I had no problem. Now with a Win 10 machine on the network my Win 7 computers receive the "(67) The network name cannot be found" error message when trying to access a computer with shared directories. Microsoft Windows Explorer has no problem nor does Total Commander. Salamander on the Win 10 machine has no problems accessing the shared directories on my Win 7 machines (both 32=bit and 64-bit Win 7 computers). But Salamander on the Win 7 computers gives the error. I tried Salamander 3.04 and 3.08, both displays the error message. I have reactivated Windows firewall on my computers and configured it to specifically allow Salamander full access to private and public networks, but that also didn't solve the problem. Standard SMB networking setup as been checked many times. If that was a problem then Windows explorer and Total Commander would also be having problems, but they don't. So it seems the problem is with Salamander. Any ideas to get Salamander working with file sharing?
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

You have to allow the network connections on the Windows 10 computer. Check if the connection is set to Private/Work and not public.
Also go to the "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings" and enable File and printer sharing.
If it does not work, you can allways try to disable the Master Browser on the Windows 10 computer.
see "https://pattersonsupport.custhelp.com/a ... er-browser" for how to.
bite me

Post by bite me »

I disabled the Master Browser in the Win10 machine. Shutdown the Win10 and Win7 machines. Started the Win10 machine and then followed by booting up the Win7 computer. The Win10 and Win7 computers are running 64-bit operating systems on a hard-wired LAN, both computers plugged into an ethernet port on back of a ASUS router. On the Win10 computer Salamander has no problems seeing and accessing the shared folders on either computer. On the Win7 machine Salamander gives me the "(67) The network name cannot be found" error message when I click on the "Network" button followed by clicking on the "Entire Network" button, followed by clicking on the "Microsoft Windows Network" button. Still on the Win7 machine, I bring up Microsoft's Windows Explorer file manager, some 10 seconds go by and under the Network icon the names of the two computers shows up. I can then click on the Win10 computer icon and have access to its shared directories. I boot up another Win7 computer this is a 32-bit machine that access the network using Wi-Fi. Windows Explorer had no problem accessing all 3 computers. Total Commander has no problem accessing the shared directories on all 3 computers. Salamander displays the error message. I have no idea why Windows Explorer or Total Commander has no problems but Salamander on the Win7 computers can't see any computers on the network. Any more things to try?
bite me

Post by bite me »

Here is something else to consider. I shutdown all 3 machines. Boot up the two Win7 computers. Salamander on these computers have no problem accessing the shared directories on each other. I then boot up the Win10 computer. Now Salamander on all 3 computers have no problem seeing and accessing the shared directories on each other. I then hibernate the 2 Win7 computers. I bring back up the Win7 computers and now Salamander is off-line, and gives out the error #67 message. Salamander on the Win10 computer continues to have no problems accessing the Win7 machines. Windows Explorer and Total Commander on the Win7 machines still have no problem accessing the shared directories on all 3 machines. I try to reboot a Win7 computer and Salamander still is off-line giving out the same error #67. So it seems like to get Salamander to work correctly requires me to boot up a Win7 computer before the Win10 machine. This is a problem as the Win10 computer is my main computer and is on much more during the day then either Win7 machine.