Symantec Proactive Threat Protection signals salamand.exe as threat

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
johan.g.pettersson

Symantec Proactive Threat Protection signals salamand.exe as threat

Post by johan.g.pettersson »

Hello,

This morning, while running a file copy operation, Symantec Endpoint Protection function "Proactive Threat Protection" pops up and informs me that it has classified "salamand.exe" as a potential threat. It seems to base this on heuristics described like this:

"SONAR.AM.C!g10 is a heuristic detection designed to detect malware, adware, and potentially unwanted applications based on suspicious behaviors uncovered from cloud data."

Has anyone else encountered this?I guess this is probably a "false positive" of some kind. I have run the file through http://www.virustotal.com without any virus being detected. The weird thing is that the copy operation got stuck/hung on the same file twice and I had to "kill" it twice before that warning showed up. I don't know the significance of this (if any).

Best regards,
Johan
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Symantec Proactive Threat Protection signals salamand.exe as threat

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It looks like problem with your antivirus.
johan.g.pettersson

Post by johan.g.pettersson »

That's my theory too. I just wanted to let you know and see if anyone else had experienced the problem.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It is common problem, see search.php?keywords=virustotal

We can recommend ESET products... works fine.