UltraHD monitor display

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Brett

UltraHD monitor display

Post by Brett »

I am testing our own application on a Samsung UltraHD monitor and notice that elements of Salamander do not scale well.

The monitor is set to a resolution of 3840 x 2160 (recommended) and Windows display scaling is set to 200% (so I can actually read things).

I have attached images of the icons and the internal viewer which is where I have noticed problems so far. The internal viewer was far worse than shown as the display was set to 4pt FixedSys and, after I changed it to see any difference and wanted to set it back to grab the screenshot, the only options were 5 and 7 pt. The image is for 5 pt FixedSys.
Salamander_UHD_Icons.png
Salamander_UHD_Icons.png (30.69 KiB) Viewed 17626 times
Salamander_UHD_IViewer.png
Salamander_UHD_IViewer.png (20.76 KiB) Viewed 17626 times
(The inline images are enlarged so aren't a reasonable facsimile of the actual size).

Cheers,
Brett
SelfMan

Re: UltraHD monitor display

Post by SelfMan »

There is no support for HighDPI monitors yet. Its a work in progress.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Yes, we are working on HiDPI support for Altap Salamander.
Brett

Post by Brett »

Until such time as high DPI support is complete can you please set the dpiAware setting in the internal manifest to false (in upcoming 3.08). That will at least allow clean display on UltraHD monitors.

I am using a work-around suggested elsewhere to have an external manifest, and the manifest extracted from Salamander has the setting as true which is clearly not actually supported.

Cheers,
Brett
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Without <dpiAware>true</dpiAware> DPI virtualization kicks in and it looks terrible on High-DPI LCD.
Attachments
dpi_virtualization.png
dpi_virtualization.png (289.36 KiB) Viewed 16863 times
Brett

Post by Brett »

My 3.07 looks okay with dpiAware set false, at least I can use it and the icons are big enough to actually click. Other users experiences might differ.

I do have my manifest work-around so it's no biggie if the setting is not changed.

Cheers,
Brett
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

I've had this issue on a clients notebook with 2k LCD and I've used the "fix" from http://windows10_dpi_blurry_fix.xpexplorer.com/
Essentialy it switches the DPI scaling method from Windows10 to Windows8.1 style. (more on that see the website above)
It solves a lot of headaches.
nieboras.jan

Post by nieboras.jan »

Hi, I would like to re-open this thread rather than opening a brand new one. Just bought a laptop with UHD screen, using "225%" scaling option in Windows 10, but the toolbar icons in Salamander (using 32-bit version) are still ridiculously small.

Is there a way already to adjust the size of the icons?

Thank you for letting me know.

Regards,
Jan
camper

Post by camper »

nieboras.jan wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 17:23 Is there a way already to adjust the size of the icons?
No.

I have implemented 4k-monitor support for our applications, too, not just for Windows, but for OS X and Linux, too. It was no rocket science.