Files - Email will not work with Pegasus Mail

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Klettermaxe

Files - Email will not work with Pegasus Mail

Post by Klettermaxe »

The command 'Files - Email…' doesn't work on my system (Win XP Home, SP2, all recent updates). After clicking 'Yes' in the confirmation dialog nothing happens.

I'm using Pegasus Mail 4.31, it's my default mailer, but it was the same with the previous version (4.21c). It doesn't make a difference if Pegasus Mail is already running or not.

This is no big issue, because right clicking the file (respectively STRG+right) and choosing 'Send to … Pegasus Mail' always works. Pegasus Mail also starts, if I click on a 'mailto' - link in my browser, no matter if I use IE or Opera.

Are there any registry entries I can look for / create / change in order to make 'Files - Email…' working?
jis

Re: Files - Email will not work with Pegasus Mail

Post by jis »

Klettermaxe wrote:Are there any registry entries I can look for / create / change in order to make 'Files - Email…' working?
Did you check "Set Program Access and Defaults" in "Add or Remove Programs"?
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
Klettermaxe

Post by Klettermaxe »

jis wrote:Did you check "Set Program Access and Defaults" in "Add or Remove Programs"?
I have checked it. The configuration pane in 'User defined' only has the option 'Use actual email program' (your label may be different because I use the german version of XP). The actual email program is the one I have selected in 'Control Panel - Internet Options' as default mailer (Pegasus Mail). It works with mailto-links in browsers, word documents and PDF-files.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Klettermaxe wrote:Are there any registry entries I can look for / create / change in order to make 'Files - Email…' working?
This should work, I will check it tomorrow. Thank you for reporting this problem!
roger

Post by roger »

Klettermaxe wrote:The command 'Files - Email…' doesn't work on my system (Win XP Home, SP2, all recent updates). After clicking 'Yes' in the confirmation dialog nothing happens.
For me it works on Windows 2000 with Pegasus 4.31.

Did you install Pegasus' Simple MAPI? It seems that I've installed it (too long ago to remember :) ), because the mapi.dll and mapi32.dll from Pegasus' wpmmapi.exe are in my system32-dir. The mapi32.dll has been renamed to mapi32x.dll.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

roger wrote:For me it works on Windows 2000 with Pegasus 4.31.

Did you install Pegasus' Simple MAPI? It seems that I've installed it (too long ago to remember :) ), because the mapi.dll and mapi32.dll from Pegasus' wpmmapi.exe are in my system32-dir. The mapi32.dll has been renamed to mapi32x.dll.
Roger, the Simple MAPI layer (named mapi32.dll) is definetely needed. How did you install it? Is it part of standard Pegasus Mail 4.31 setup?
roger

Post by roger »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Roger, the Simple MAPI layer (named mapi32.dll) is definetely needed. How did you install it? Is it part of standard Pegasus Mail 4.31 setup?
There is a wpmmapi.exe in the Pegasus install-dir per default, which is able to install Mapi and Simple Mapi. The description is confusing, so I do not know anymore, which version I installed at my home-machine (where it is possible to send files from within Salamander).

Here on my work-machine, the "Email ..." thing did not work, so I tried to install the Pegasus MAPI today. No success, I've tried MAPI and Simple Mapi.

The installes seems to be very outdated, because he replaced the mapi32.dll in the system32 directory, but placed mapi.dll in the system directory, leaving an existing version in the system32 directory.

I will try to compare the whole stuff with my home-machine in the evening.
roger

Post by roger »

roger wrote:...

I will try to compare the whole stuff with my home-machine in the evening.
I after comparing my two installs, here is how I got the Pegasus MAPI working on both machines. The wpmmapi.exe installer failed to do this.

1. Create a temporary folder
2. Copy C:\Winnt\system32\mapi.dll (~525 KB) to the temporary folder and rename it to mapi.dll.bak
3. Open wpmmapi.exe with WinZip/WinRAR and extract mapi.dll and mapi32.dll into the temporary folder.
4. Rename the extracted mapi32.dll to mapi32x.dll
5. Move all three files to C:\Winnt\system32 and let them overwrite existing files. You will finish with four mapi? files:

...\system32\Mapi.dll
...\system32\mapi.dll.bak
...\system32\mapi32.dll
...\system32\Mapi32x.dll

For me it works, but YMMV :-)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

roger wrote:here is how I got the Pegasus MAPI working on both machines
Roger, thank you for your effort!
Klettermaxe

Post by Klettermaxe »

Thank you roger,
but indeed, my mileage varies and your tip doesn't work on my XP-system.

There is no 'mapi.dll' in 'c:\windows\system32' (only a 'mapi32.dll'), but this should no problem, because the mapi.dll from winpmmapi.exe is copied to the system folder. Nevertheless nothing happens.

If I replace the original mapi32.dll with the one from winpmmapi.exe, I get an error message that no mapi32.dll was found (!). The mapi-files from winpmmapi.exe are from 1997.

But I have found a workaround for Pegasus Mail, that is a very comfortable solution of this problem for me:

1. In Servant Salamander create a User Menu - entry with the command C:\Programme\PMAIL\WSENDTO.EXE
(Arguments "$(FullName)", $(FullPath))

2. Add the item to the User Menu Bar

3. If you click on the icon, the highlighted file will be send to Pegasus Mail and a new message window with the selected file attached will pop up.

The only restriction seems to be, that you can send only a single file to Pegasus Mail but if I want to attach more than one file, I attach an archive.
roger

Post by roger »

Klettermaxe wrote:...

If I replace the original mapi32.dll with the one from winpmmapi.exe, I get an error message that no mapi32.dll was found (!). The mapi-files from winpmmapi.exe are from 1997.
Who wrote that you have to replace the existing mapi32.dll? The extracted version should be renamed to mapi32x.dll. The existing mapi32.dll should stay.
Klettermaxe wrote:But I have found a workaround for Pegasus Mail, that is a very comfortable solution of this problem for me:

1. In Servant Salamander create a User Menu - entry with the command C:\Programme\PMAIL\WSENDTO.EXE
(Arguments "$(FullName)", $(FullPath))

The only restriction seems to be, that you can send only a single file to Pegasus Mail but if I want to attach more than one file, I attach an archive.
A shortcut to WSENDTO.EXE in the SendTo folder is able to accept more than one file, at least is does it here on W2000.
Klettermaxe

Post by Klettermaxe »

roger wrote:Who wrote that you have to replace the existing mapi32.dll? The extracted version should be renamed to mapi32x.dll. The existing mapi32.dll should stay.
There may be a misunderstanding. First I followed exactly your steps. The only difference was the one I mentioned, namly that there is no mapi.dll on my system, therefore I cannot have a mapi.dll.bak in my system folder. Please note that I have mentioned "nothing happens" (= not even an error message) first.

The replacement of the existing mapi32.dll was my second attempt. There I got the error message I mentioned.
roger wrote:A shortcut to WSENDTO.EXE in the SendTo folder is able to accept more than one file, at least is does it here on W2000.
This is correct. Selecting more than one file and doing a 'Send to' Pegasus Mail works. But the one-click 'User-Menu' - method i described works only with one file because I can pass only one filename in this way.