*.tgz: GZip Error: Premature end of file encountered

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Radomir Tomis

*.tgz: GZip Error: Premature end of file encountered

Post by Radomir Tomis »

Hello,

FYI...

When opening huge *.tgz archive (6.7 GB), the "Reading list of files and directories from archive, please wait..." message pops-up, but when the listing is finished, the following error dialog appears:
---------------------------
GZip Error
Premature end of file encountered.
[OK]
When I hit [Ok], the content of the *.tgz archive appears in the Salamander's panel, but I do not know, whether the content is complete (all the files and folders).

The *.tgz file is perfectly valid - checked by gzip+tar on Linux and 7-zip on Windows.

Radomir Tomis
Radomir Tomis

Re: *.tgz: GZip Error: Premature end of file encountered

Post by Radomir Tomis »

Forgot to mention Salamander version: 2.52 beta 1 (the latest as of 2009-05-07).
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

Radomir Tomis wrote:GZip Error
Thank you for the bug report. Is the gzip file available for download somewhere?
Radomir Tomis

Post by Radomir Tomis »

Jan Patera wrote:
Thank you for the bug report. Is the gzip file available for download somewhere?
I cannot provide you with the orig. *.tgz, but I'll try to create dummy archive with random data.

I'll follow up once the dummy file (that causes the above error too) is ready.

Radomir
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

Thank you for the reporting the bug. The warning has been fixed for the next version of Salamander (2.52/2.52b2). The warning is usually harmless when it occurs on gzip files larger than 4 GB.
rts

Post by rts »

Jan Patera wrote:
Thank you for the reporting the bug. The warning has been fixed for the next version of Salamander (2.52/2.52b2). The warning is usually harmless when it occurs on gzip files larger than 4 GB.
I thought I had already reported this, but I don't see it, so again:

I can confirm, that Salamander 2.52 does not report the error on huge (3 or 7 GB) *.gz files - thanks !

OTOH, it still reports this error on CloneZilla 1.95 GiB image file (e.g. "sda1.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.aa"), but I don't mind in this case.

Radomir
rts

Post by rts »

rts wrote: OTOH, it still reports this error on CloneZilla 1.95 GiB image file (e.g. "sda1.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.aa"), but I don't mind in this case.
That's actually OK, because CloneZilla stores just one GZip stream into multiple "*.gz.*" files, so Salamander is right about "Premature end of file encountered" on individual "*.gz.*" file.

Radomir Tomis