DLL-calls are Case-sensitive; Filenames are not...

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Hog

DLL-calls are Case-sensitive; Filenames are not...

Post by Hog »

Hi,

if been using SS for a couple of years now and it's still the best peace of software out there!

Yet, recently i changed more or less to linux, but i'm still running Servant Salamand inside VMWare (In fact SS is the ONLY tool i wholeheartedly miss under linux)... The last upgrade (2.5b11) did not go as flawless as usually:
SS claimed about missing SALRTL.dll. The problem was, that the filename was all lowercase, while the program call wasn't... Normally nobody notices this, as Windows doesn't care about the case in filenames. In my case it is different, as the underlying OS does care (The Salamand directory lies on a network share, which gets mounted in Windows via NAT-connection to the vmware host).

If it was for this one dll, well i already fixed the problem for me; but this particular problem seems to persist for all the plugins as well, as i get (more or less) the same error message e.g. for Pictview "Unable to load image processing library PVW32Cnv.dll"

Do you guys think it would be a great deal to search&replace the sources for correct casing?

TIA

Hog
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

How do you share the Linux disk? Using Samba? Could you turn of the case sensitive option for this sharing?

I searched through SS2.5b11 and cannot find "SALRTL.dll" string. I have no idea where this name comes from. I found only "SALRTL.DLL".
Hog

Post by Hog »

Hi Jan,

you are right - i got confused with the extensions...

The filename that is needed & searched for by the program is "SALRTL.DLL" whereas the filename created by the installation is "salrtl.dll"

Like said, something similar yet different goes for some of the plugins: Eroiica claims some unspecified error ("Creating instance of WMF export filter failed"), some of the plugins even crash SS, when i just hover the mouse over the menu-item...

The "sharing" is done within vmware, and i haven't bothered finding out, how exactly this is done (I have no samba installed, but who knows - maybe there's some stripped-down vmware-samba running?). But i will try and copy the whole directory to a folder inside the vmware-windows-installation, which should make all these problems disappear.

Just out of curiousity: Is there a naming scheme? Why are some of the dll's in capital letters some in lower and some in mixed writing? I guess it would solve these problems if all where capital or even better: lower case.

But then again: If it took that long for someone to stumble upon this problem, he (me) is probably the only one who will ever ramble about this... ;-)
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hog wrote:Just out of curiousity: Is there a naming scheme? Why are some of the dll's in capital letters some in lower and some in mixed writing? I guess it would solve these problems if all where capital or even better: lower case.
We have no naming scheme (lower/upper case), there was not the reason...

You should focus on case sensitive sharing option as I mentioned above.
Jan Patera
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by Jan Patera »

Hog wrote:some of the plugins even crash SS, when i just hover the mouse over the menu-item...
Could you please be more specific? I'll also check the PV- & EV-related issues.

Post by Guest »

Hi Jan,
We have no naming scheme (lower/upper case), there was not the reason...
You should focus on case sensitive sharing option as I mentioned above.
Well, there are no such options in VMWare, at least no obvious ones...
Like promised, i copied the files over to the Windows installation and it works from there. (not surprisingly)

I think i can live with that... ;-)

Thank again

Hog