Cannot Close from Right-click Taskbar Icon

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
therube

Cannot Close from Right-click Taskbar Icon

Post by therube »

Cannot Close Salamander from a Right-click (& Close, of the) Taskbar Icon - sometimes.

This is nothing new, just thought I'd mention.
Not a big deal, but would rather it didn't happen, if possible.

From what I recall, it may occur if you attempt the close just after you initiated a close in another application - like my browser.

So I Quit my browser (SeaMonkey, think like Firefox) & it generally takes a bit of time to actually finish its close & exit memory. What happens is, typically, all but one of the browser windows close (I usually have a lot open), so boom, boom, boom, ... 30...sum boom, windows close in sequence, but the 31st window hangs around - for a little while, eventually closing & not too long thereafter, drops completely from memory.

Typically what I'll do, is to initiate the browser close, when the one browser window is left open, I'll right-click a Salamander taskbar icon, selecting, Close. Enough times, but not always, I greeted with a beep (sound) instead of a close action. If that happens, I'll hit the 'X' & that always closes Salamander.

Is right-click & Close the same as 'X', the same as Alt+F4?
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Cannot Close from Right-click Taskbar Icon

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Both commands are handled the same way.

It looks like righ-click+close command is not delivered for some reason (beep sound seems like some disabled state). Unfortunately I have no idea why.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

A bit more info would be helpful.
What OS, x86 or x64, are any taskbar enhancements installed, is there a running subprocess (copy, ftp, renamer etc)
therube

Post by therube »

(Was waiting until I had run into it again...)

XP SP3, 2 GB RAM

No, no "sub-processes".
Browser (SeaMonkey, largest RAM user) was open (as it always is).

Two sets of "Memory", Private bytes & Working set.
(SeaMonkey) was using about 1300 MB | 800 MB.

More typical would be for the numbers to be closer together, virtually the same, but as I was doing other things, other applications, I'm sure it spooled some out to disk, so the relatively large difference there. I told SeaMonkey to Quit (Exit). What I think happens is that in order to exit, it has to actually reload the Working set into RAM before releasing the RAM & fully exiting (or something to that affect)?

And maybe it is at that type of condition where there may be some kind of [race ?] condition, where Salamander doesn't respond to a (taskbar icon) right-click | Close action?

Could be other other applications might similarly be affected, not sure?

When I'm go to put my computer to sleep, & while I don't close down everything, typically what I'll do is to Quit my browser first (largest RAM user, & it saves its session, also relatively large, so its usually the slowest to Quit, so I'll want to start it on its way first), then close unwanted Salamander widows, & sometimes, I'll run into this situation.

(Till now, wasn't sure just what OS I have had this occur, but at least now I can say, for sure on XP. Would think, but not certain that I have similar happen on Win7? In any case, I'm paying more attention in that regard.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

The issue you are experiencing could be also caused by VGA drivers. So I suggest you look for the latest version available.
Anyway, I would not use Win XP anymore. Its becomming a huge risc to use it as there are unfixed security issues.
Go to http://www.driverscloud.com/en/ and check the system for new drivers.