Mapped network drives loses connection

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
ChronoDK

Mapped network drives loses connection

Post by ChronoDK »

I'm having a problem with my mapped network drives in Windows 7 x64. I map them at logon using "net use b: \\server\share /persistent:no /user:me pass" and this works fine to begin with. But if the connection is inactive for a while, they suddenly lose connection in Salamander 2.52. If I open Explorer there is no problem, and if I go back into Salamander the problem is gone. But having to start Explorer to enable the drive again is annoying. I don't do anything in Explorer - I just browse the drive and it works. The message I get from Salamander when the drive loses connection is "Drive Select Error - There is no disc in drive B. Insert a disc and then try again.". Makes no sense to me.

I tried using a VBscript to logon with, but there is no change. The same with a PowerShell script - it still loses connection after a while.
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Re: Mapped network drives loses connection

Post by zarevak »

Can you try using another drive letter then A: or B:?

A: and B: drive letters were used for floppy disk drives and some applications handle these drive letters in special way. Salamander may be one of them.
ChronoDK

Post by ChronoDK »

It's the same problem with my other mapped drives: M, P, S, V and W.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Are all the mapped drives from the same server?
Verify the following registry key on the server machine.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters]
"autodisconnect"=dword:0000000f

autodisconnect - the idle time disconnect in minutes (15 default)

You might be interested in this KB article: "Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost"
ChronoDK

Post by ChronoDK »

The server is a linux box, but it does put its harddrives into sleep mode after a while of idle time. They wake up once a connection is attempted though.
ChronoDK

Post by ChronoDK »

The problem might not be Salamander-related though. My music player, foobar2000, can't figure out how to enable the connection either. It gives me a similar error until I start Explorer. So perhaps 32-bit applications just can't reconnect to mapped drives in Windows 7 64-bit.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

What about the standard (Windows) command line copy command? Does it reconnect as Explorer?
ChronoDK

Post by ChronoDK »

cmd.exe works fine. Starting cmd and entering "b:" finds the drive and reconnects it such that Salamander has it available again.
ChronoDK

Post by ChronoDK »

Still no solution to this problem?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It looks like you are only person reporting this problem (probably caused by your Samba linux box), so it has low priority for us. I'm sorry.

Please see http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3103 for more information...
vld

Post by vld »

Does WXP have the same problem as W7?
ChronoDK

Post by ChronoDK »

No. Salamander works fine in Vista and XP 32-bit.
ctimjones

Post by ctimjones »

Well you're not the ONLY one who experiences a loss of connection. I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Pro (64-bit). I'm using Servant Salamander 2.53 (Evaluation). I have a SAMBA share to my home directory on a CentOS 5 Linux server. When I copy large files (40MB + so far), the copy starts, but then hangs. When I use Windows Explorer, I have NO problems copying the larger files.

I was previously using Windows XP Pro with Servant Salamander 1.65 (Beta). Copying files from the Win XP Pro machine to the same CentOS 5 Linux server had NO PROBLEMS at all.

I see this thread is a bit old, so I'll keep searching to see if there is a solution. Just wanted folks to know others are experiencing this same issue.

Not sure if any of the following log info will be of help, but this is all I can find on the Linux server:

/var/log/messages

Aug 20 15:24:34 acer smbd[2206]: [2010/08/20 15:24:34, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)
Aug 20 15:24:34 acer smbd[2206]: read_data: read failure for 4 bytes to client 10.1.1.157. Error = Connection reset by peer

------------------------------
smbd.log

[2010/08/20 15:13:39, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
tjones-win7pc (10.1.1.157) connect to service public initially as user ctjones (uid=500, gid=500) (pid 2206)
[2010/08/20 15:13:52, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
tjones-win7pc (10.1.1.157) closed connection to service public
[2010/08/20 15:24:34, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(534)
read_data: read failure for 4 bytes to client 10.1.1.157. Error = Connection reset by peer
[2010/08/20 15:24:34, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
tjones-win7pc (10.1.1.157) closed connection to service ctjones
[2010/08/20 15:24:34, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
tjones-win7pc (10.1.1.157) connect to service ctjones initially as user ctjones (uid=500, gid=500) (pid 2310)
Emphyrio
Translator
Translator

Post by Emphyrio »

I experienced two problems with my network connections: 1) network file copying was slowing down to a crawl then disconnecting in Win7; 2) Altap Salamander can't see the other networked PC, while Windows Explorer connects to it just fine.

Problem 1 I solved with some registry changes, it was related to Windows 7. Perhaps someone can profit, like me, from the suggestions named in this article and its comments: http://www.windowsreference.com/windows ... mpression/

Problem 2 I still have. Altap Salamander is unable to connect to the other PC's shares. Salamander shows a popup with error 67: unable to locate network name. This error also occurs when I try to connect using the IP address. Windows Explorer works just fine, so I have to use that to copy my files now. Just wanted to chime in as the second Salamander user with this problem.
therube

Post by therube »

1) LOL
Microsoft started off being sh-t and over the decades everything they do just gets more and more crap.

In another 10 years we won’t need to buy a new operating system, all we’ll need to do is sh-t on a hard disk to get the same result.

The best way to optimise Windows is to disable every feature, every security patch and every program written by a Microsoft programmer.

Inside every Windows computer is a geriatric old man with altzimers a pencil and a piece of paper.

2) no idea about the issue, but this seems to have some sensible ideas:

"No network provider accepted the given network path
System error 67 has occurred
The network name cannot be found"
http://www.chicagotech.net/troubleshoot ... rror67.htm

1a) Come to think of it, I put a 10 cent USB wireless adapter on a desktop. Only thing that concerned me was that there was some sort of connectivity - that something worked. Wasn't concerned about speed or anything like that. If it saw the Internet & saw the LAN I was happy. Thinking (though don't recall at this point) that it was a mule that I put W7 on to. Internet speed seemed fine. Though copying an ISO (~600 MB) was painfully slow. Could have copied it to a Flash drive, then back off much quicker then over the LAN.

I'll have to remember this the next time I get to experimenting. (Believe I have XP on there now, so might be interesting ...)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54