Shortcut: Shift+Right / Shift+Left

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
RobWala

Shortcut: Shift+Right / Shift+Left

Post by RobWala »

I'm trying to figure out if the shift+right and shift+left hotkeys will perform the action I am looking for, but on my system they do nothing. Can you confirm that these are still working? Perhaps I am not understanding what they are supposed to do but when I try them they have no action at all.

Perhaps there is another way to accomplish what I am trying to do, I will explain.

I have 2 different directories displayed in the right and left panels. Some of the file names are the same in each. Suppose I have focused a file in the left panel, I know the same file name exists in the right panel but there are a large number of files and it is not immediately obvious where it is. Is there a shortcut to quickly focus the same file name in the right panel as is currently focused in the left panel? (Keep in mind these are different folders.)

Thank you for any assistance.

- Bob
therube

Re: Shortcut: Shift+Right / Shift+Left

Post by therube »

Not that I'm aware.

What are Shift+Left / Shift+Right (supposed to do)?

After you did focus on the two files, what did you want to do next?
(File Comparator does not need its same named file to have focus, it will find it automatically - if its there [& no files are highlighted in the other panel].)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
therube

Post by therube »

I often "focus" using Everything.
I find the file using Everything, highlighting it.
(I have assigned a hotkey, F6, in my case, to 'copy full name to clipboard'.)
I click F6.

I then jump to Salamander & Shift+INS which then lands me right on the wanted file.

(I have also assigned a hotkey, F5, in my case, to 'copy path to clipboard' when I want to jump to the particular directory rather then directly to the file itself.)
WinXP Pro SP3 or Win7 x86 | SS 2.54
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Have you tried Edit > Advanced > Hide Selected Names OR Edit > Advanced > Hide UnSelected Names?
Be aware that this option is only available when files are selected.

You can allways F2 on the file, CTRL+C to get the file name in the clipboard, TAB to the other pane and CTRL+V to focus the file which's name is in the clipboard.
What are you going to do with the two files? Compare them?
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Then I suggest that you install WinMerge (if not yet installed) and create a custom menu under F9.

comand: C:\Program Files\WinMerge\WinMergeU.exe
arguments: /r "$(FullPathLeft)$(Name)" "$(FullPathRight)$(Name)"
Initial directory: $(FullPath)
[x] Show Item in User menu bar

Now go to both directories you want the files to compare.
Go to a file OR directory on the left that you want to compare, hit F9, hit W(key).
Salamander registers the file or directory name and puts it at the right path's end. So you dont have to scroll arround and select it. You just have to be in the folder in the right pane.
This way you can compare individual files and directories without having to select the file on the opposite side.
Here I would like to have an option for a custom keyboard shortcut. Still F9+W is pretty quick.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

Jieah, but also usually if someone focuses a file he has some intention to do something with it. ;-)
Never the less, the F9 setup as mentioned above may help a lot of people with their work.