Altap Salamander 3.0x hangs on Win 10 Enterprise

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
fkrd

Altap Salamander 3.0x hangs on Win 10 Enterprise

Post by fkrd »

Hi,

today I've upgrade from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Enterprise. Upgrading in this case means formating my PC and installing Win 10 Enterprise on a blank hard dist drive.
However. On Win 10 Home I've used Altap Salamnder 3.03 and it worked like a charm.

Now, on Win 10 Enterprise it sometimes works - and sometimes it hangs. Hanging means it does not respond. It's even impossible to kill the Altap Salamander task with a task manager. No chance. I have to restart the PC to kill the Salamander process!

I don't know what to do now. I like the tool, I'm using it since years. Now I am afraid that I paid it, and can't used it ...

Is there anyone who can help me? I would like to add some log files, but I don't know where to find them.

Thanks in advance.
SelfMan

Re: Altap Salamander 3.0x hangs on Win 10 Enterprise

Post by SelfMan »

As mentioned multiple times before.
If Salamander hangs, start a new session, go to Help > Task list. Selec the nonresponsive session and click break.
Send the generated report to Altap.

In most cases such hang up is caused a faulty shell extension. Submenus and options in context menu.
Tmost commonly used are TortoiseSVN, GitHub and other Git based extensions.
Have you installed any of this on your new Win10 setup?
fkrd

Post by fkrd »

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

Just a side note: it was impossible for me to start a new session, and to open a task list.

I found the solution: I installed Win 10 from a SD card. I did not remove this card, even after the installation has been finished. Everytime the Salamander did start, it seems that it tried to read from the SD card, but I guess Windows had a strange lock on the SD card (or something). Now that I have removed the card, the programm works as before.

I don't know if this is a reproducable issue. If I now put the SD card into the slot and open the file manager, the issue does not come back.

Just for the record. This was on the SD card:

Code: Select all

boot
efi
sources
support
System Volume Information
bootmgr
menu.c32
syslinux.cfg
bootmgr.efi
setup.exe
autorun.inf
ldlinux.sys
ubnfilel.txt
ubnpathl.txt
Thank you anyway.
SelfMan

Post by SelfMan »

You can try WhatgIsHang to get a proces status image.