Display of subst drives

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
uberis

Display of subst drives

Post by uberis »

Hi,
I use subst command to have specific directories as drive letters for fast access.
In the past (Windows 7) this worked fine within Salamander as the subst'ed drives have been correctly shown in the drives list.

Now, after upgrading to windows 10 pro, subst'ed drives will not be shown in the drives list anymore. Windows explorer however displays the subst'ed drive letters.

What am I doing wrong in the configuration? Is this a feature within Windows 10?

Any remarks are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Harald
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Display of subst drives

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Hi Harald, how do you starting Salamander? As Administrator? Please try to start it without this option.

Windows Explorer is always running as non-administrator process.
uberis

Post by uberis »

Hi Jan,

thanks for your answer.
As I am working as an developper I reactivated my formerly already used builtin account administrator to have full access to my local resources.
Using Salamander with verion 2.x all networked and subst'ed drive letters have been displayed all the time correctly.

Now after upgrading to windows 10 and also using the same builtin account administrator this doesn't work any more - in spite of e.g. double commander that displayes all mapped drives correctly even under adminsitrator account.

Are there any plans to changes this behaviour in salamander?

Greetings Harald
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Do you use Altap Salamander 3.x or 2.x on Windows 10? Could you reproduce described problem with both versions?

What do you exactly mean with "builtin administrator account"? There is difference if you start Salamander "As Administrator" using context menu or just by clicking Salamander shortcut. Please check Altap Salamanader 3.x title bar, there is "(Administrator)" string appended when you start process As Administrator.
uberis

Post by uberis »

Hi Jan,

when you install Windows 10 the builtin account named "administrator" is deactivated per default.
I have reactivated this account to continue working in the same environment as I have done it while using windows 7.

Btw, I am using Salamander 3.06 (in its latest version).

Under windows 7 I subst some local directories as "network" drives for faster and easier access. While using the administrator account under windows 7 the subst'ed drives appear in the disk list of Salamander 3.04.

Now under Windows 10 with the same mimic these subst'ed drives do not appear (same environment, same account). The drive substituion is done by a script during login (script is placed in Autostart folder). When starting a different file manager like Double Commander, I can see these subst'ed drives there but not in Salamander 3.06. The only way to et them accessible in Salamander is to do the substitution again under the administrator account.

I also have set the reg key EnableLinkedConnections under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System and set the value to 1 withount any success under Salamander but Explorer or other file managers.

Any idea on what is different in this behaviour?

Greetings Harald
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I did several tests (described in this Czech thread http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?p=54972#p54972) and was not able to find any difference on default Windows 7 user and default Windows 10 user. I didn't any changes in registry nor activated "administrator" account. I had UAC on default settings on both systems.

So maybe problem is related to some changes you did comparing to default Windows setup I'm using.
Ether

Post by Ether »

I'm pretty confused by your problem description, uberis, especially this part:
uberis wrote:The only way to et them accessible in Salamander is to do the substitution again under the administrator account.
Do you have UAC enabled for your administrator *account*? (You should be able to check by pressing Win+R and looking for "program will be started with administrator privileges" or similar.)

Given that you use only the administrator account (am I wrong?), what does it mean to "do the substitution again under the administrator account"?

Was Double Commander in your tests started with administrator privileges? Was Salamander started with them?
Ελληνικά rulez.