Beta 11 - Can't move/copy files local to network drive

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
peterv6

Beta 11 - Can't move/copy files local to network drive

Post by peterv6 »

When I attempt to copy or move a file (or files) from a local drive on my laptop to a network drive, I get a message box with the message:
"Name: E:\file.zip"
Error: (1) Incorrect Function.
I know this isn't a problem with the laptop or network, as Total Commander and Windows Explorer both handle these activities correctly. Please let me know if you can fix this!
peterv

NOTE::

Post by peterv »

I posted the original message incorrectly under the username PETERV6, my actual username is peterv. Please respond to that username. Sorry for the confusion!
jis

Re: Beta 11 - Can't move/copy files local to network drive

Post by jis »

Please, post some more details about your network configuration. Did you have any previous versions of SS, did they work fine? If they did, can you test if previous beta 10 now still works, or not?
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
peterv

Beta 11 - copy to network problem.

Post by peterv »

I don't know if beta 10 still works (it did a few minutes before I replaced it with Beta 11) as I delete the old version after installing the current one. As for network details, what, exactly, are you looking for?
jis

Re: Beta 11 - copy to network problem.

Post by jis »

peterv wrote:I don't know if beta 10 still works (it did a few minutes before I replaced it with Beta 11) as I delete the old version after installing the current one. As for network details, what, exactly, are you looking for?
1) So you cannot test if Beta 10 is still working now, but you say that Beta 10 worked ok just a few minutes before you replaced it with Beta 11.
2) Just start with some info about your operating system and network configuration. Everything what you know about your configuration can help to identify the reason of your problem. As you can see in this forum, it's really unique problem. No other one reported it so far.

What do you mean by network drive? Is it some shared folder on another networked PC? Or is it network attached storage?
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
peterv

Post by peterv »

The operating systems on all pc's on the network are Windows 2000 professional, with all available service packs. The network has a Linksys wireless router. I'm attempting to copy/move files from the laptop (wireless network card) to my main machine, which is wired into the Linksys. As I mentioned before, this does work with Total Commander 6.53 and Windows Explorer.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

I really don't know what can cause such problem. There are two strange things: you are only one who reported this problem (most of users use network drives frequently), source code of copy/move operation was not changed since beta 10.

If this problem persists even after reboot of your Windows, send me bug report created following way:
-start Salamander
-try to copy to E: (error window should be displayed, do not close it)
-start another Salamander, go to menu Help > Task List, choose first running Salamander (not "current process"), click Break button
-Bug Report dialog should be displayed in first Salamander, send me text from this dialog to my email petr.solin at altap.cz.