SOLVED: Browsing network neigborhood - v2.52B1

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
vld

SOLVED: Browsing network neigborhood - v2.52B1

Post by vld »

Basically guys....I hate this new plugin. It is much slower then the pervious version 2.51. I browse the network quite frequently and have created special shortcuts to get me to certain systems. I placed all those shortcuts in the %USERPROFILE%\NETHOOD folder. V2.51 easily read these shortcuts. Now with v2.52B1, they don't even exists. Not only that, it is EXTREMELY slow.

Is there a way to change some settings somewhere. This is very annoying and ready to uninstall Beta1. :(
zarevak
Plugin Developer
Plugin Developer

Post by zarevak »

I'm not sure if it will help, but you can try removing the Network plugin using Plugin Manager (Menu Plugins > Plugin Manager, find Network plugin in the list and click Remove). The plugin file remains on your disk so you can easily re-add it later.
vld

Post by vld »

beautiful...now this will keep me using 2.52 for a while
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Browsing network neigborhood - v2.52B1

Post by Jan Rysavy »

vld wrote:Not only that, it is EXTREMELY slow.
Could you please post more information about the speed? Are you working on big network?

From what we see here, the plugin is not slower than Windows standard network enumeration. The BIG plus is built-in cache and non-blocking architecture -- you needn't to wait when accessing the same server again.

Does anybody else notice described problem? Does anybody notice speed improvement over standard Windows dialog? Please let us know, we need feedback from beta testing. Thank you.
vld

Post by vld »

I'm on small network and the 1st thing it does when I open Network is begin to browse. I don't want it to browse the ENTIRE network, I know where i am going since I have created the shortcuts. The plugin should view NETHOOD folder first and if I choose to browse, then browse. As it stands, Windows Explorer is quicker, and I really hate using that.
Ether

Post by Ether »

vld wrote:I'm on small network and the 1st thing it does when I open Network is begin to browse. I don't want it to browse the ENTIRE network, I know where i am going since I have created the shortcuts. The plugin should view NETHOOD folder first and if I choose to browse, then browse. As it stands, Windows Explorer is quicker, and I really hate using that.
Jan, it's a hidden directory (called 'Okolní síť' on Czech Windows XP) and it's located in the user's profile dir. The shortcuts from 'My Network Places' = 'Místa v síti' are stored there. They're represented by directories containing a special 'target.lnk' file pointing to the network resource. I think Salamander should parse this directory as well (or use some API) and display these shortcuts somewhere in the Network Plugin listing.
Jan Rysavy wrote:Does anybody notice speed improvement over standard Windows dialog?
It's not faster _network browsing_ of Explorer, it's just a bunch of shortcuts. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes the new features I hate on Windows (like this one) are the ones that users really want.
Ελληνικά rulez.
vld

Post by vld »

ether wrote:It's not faster _network browsing_ of Explorer, it's just a bunch of shortcuts. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes the new features I hate on Windows (like this one) are the ones that users really want.
Now don't get me wrong, I loved when I seen a plugin and was viewing a window pane vs a pop-up, but seeing the clocking in the pane before seeing my pre-defined destination is annoying. Yes, browsing/exploring the network "CAN" be slow, that's why I created the target shortcuts.
Ether

Post by Ether »

vld wrote:
ether wrote:It's not faster _network browsing_ of Explorer, it's just a bunch of shortcuts. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes the new features I hate on Windows (like this one) are the ones that users really want.
Now don't get me wrong, I loved when I seen a plugin and was viewing a window pane vs a pop-up, but seeing the clocking in the pane before seeing my pre-defined destination is annoying. Yes, browsing/exploring the network "CAN" be slow, that's why I created the target shortcuts.
Yes, I understand your frustration. I was just pointing out that every version of Windows came with a dozen of new ways of hiding the real stuff. For instance the Network Places instead of Network Neighborhood - why do I have to do so many clicks to see all of the computers in my network? Or the new Control Panel - just hate it, and it looks like it's getting worse with Windows 7. But we're getting a lot off-topic, so let's just wait for Jan's response.
Ελληνικά rulez.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

OK, so we are not talking about speed of network enumeration, but about better usability of standard Windows network browser due to your predefined shortcuts?

So we should probably display these shortcuts in our Network plugin?

Btw, what about Windows Vista? It looks like these shortcuts were removed from Windows network browser?
MartinS

Post by MartinS »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Btw, what about Windows Vista? It looks like these shortcuts were removed from Windows network browser?
It works on Vista this way: the directory mentioned on XP is present and takes you to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts\

If you create shortcut of some shared network directory (or a file) there, it is accesible directly from explorer (under your Computer, not Network).

It would be nice to see these in Slamander too. But in Nethood or in drive selection like Hot Paths?

EDIT: It supports links to FTP as well...
th.

Post by th. »

On my system (Vista Business SP1 32bit) the computer list is displayed faster than in Explorer. But only the first 37 network names are listed.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

th. wrote:On my system (Vista Business SP1 32bit) the computer list is displayed faster than in Explorer. But only the first 37 network names are listed.
You can use fixed version of Network plugin. Extract nethood101.rar into the plugins\nethood directory and overwrite existing files.
th.

Post by th. »

Thanks. Everything is ok now.
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Browsing network neigborhood - v2.52B1

Post by Petr Solin »

vld wrote:Basically guys....I hate this new plugin. It is much slower then the pervious version 2.51. I browse the network quite frequently and have created special shortcuts to get me to certain systems. I placed all those shortcuts in the %USERPROFILE%\NETHOOD folder. V2.51 easily read these shortcuts. Now with v2.52B1, they don't even exists. Not only that, it is EXTREMELY slow.
This is fixed in attached version of Network plugin (you can show items from My Network Places in panel). Please test it. See menu Options / Plugin Configuration / Network.

Other new features in this version : you can show administrative shares and you can let plugin to be loaded on Salamander's start and scan network immediately (so when you go to net:\ path, you will immediately see all computers available in time of Salamander's start and this list will be refreshed in few seconds to the current state of the network).

Let us know if something is not working as expected. Thanks! :)
Attachments
nethood104.rar
Patched version of Network plugin (1.04)
(19.19 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
vld

Post by vld »

This is fixed in attached version of Network plugin (you can show items from My Network Places in panel). Please test it. See menu Options / Plugin Configuration / Network.
Very good. Just ran a quick test and I like what I see. I will begin using 252 again and will post any issues.