Is Salamander 2.52 beta 1 slower than 2.51?

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Jesper Hertel

Post by Jesper Hertel »

ether wrote:Jesper, do you use any 3rd party shell extensions (like CVS, SVN) or other unusual software on your system?
No CVS, no SVN.

See attached file for complete list of installed programs.
Attachments
report.zip
Report from MyUninstaller
(10.77 KiB) Downloaded 846 times
Jesper Hertel

Post by Jesper Hertel »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Jesper, if I understand you correctly, you can reproduce this problem in active instance of Salamander?
No, I am sorry I can't reproduce it. It just happens sometimes. I will try to break it the next time it happens and send the bug report.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It would be very helpful because right now we have no idea what could cause reported delays in AS 2.52b1.

You can also try to hit the Escape key during delay. Salamander will interrupt directory reading and display only partial results. It will be interesting to know if it can be interrupted in this state. Note: special message box is displayed in this case, you can try it on some slow network disk.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Jesper Hertel wrote:See attached file for complete list of installed programs.
I can see one or two programs that may (or may not) cause problems.

Anyway, does only Salamander freeze, or the whole system (Taskbar and such)? Does the computer seem to be doing something during the freeze? Maybe you could have the system Task Manager (right click on the Taskbar, select Task Manager) running and after the freeze (and hopefully also the break) look at the CPU Performace graph (on the Performance tab in the Task Manager) if there's a CPU usage spike.
Ελληνικά rulez.
Jesper Hertel

Post by Jesper Hertel »

Jan Rysavy wrote:You can also try to hit the Escape key during delay. Salamander will interrupt directory reading and display only partial results. It will be interesting to know if it can be interrupted in this state.
I will try that.
roman2

Post by roman2 »

Jan, it seems to me that Jasper described what I experience. I will try to get some useful info.
Jesper Hertel

Post by Jesper Hertel »

ether wrote:
Jesper Hertel wrote:See attached file for complete list of installed programs.
I can see one or two programs that may (or may not) cause problems.
Which ones? I am curious.
ether wrote:Anyway, does only Salamander freeze, or the whole system (Taskbar and such)?
As far as I remember, only Salamander. I will try to notice that the next time.
ether wrote:Does the computer seem to be doing something during the freeze?
I'll take a sharp look on the disk indicator next time - I can't hear the harddisk here on my laptop, where the problem is.
ether wrote:Maybe you could have the system Task Manager (right click on the Taskbar, select Task Manager) running and after the freeze (and hopefully also the break) look at the CPU Performace graph (on the Performance tab in the Task Manager) if there's a CPU usage spike.
I'll do that too.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Jesper Hertel wrote:Which ones? I am curious.
Well, it's not anything big, I just saw Find and Run Robot and some others and thought it could be problematic.
Ελληνικά rulez.
Jesper Hertel

Post by Jesper Hertel »

ether wrote:
Jesper Hertel wrote:Which ones? I am curious.
Well, it's not anything big, I just saw Find and Run Robot and some others and thought it could be problematic.
Hm, interesting... it's probably the most important application on my computer - I use it to start almost everything. :) What do you think is problematic about it?

And which are the others?
Ether

Post by Ether »

Jesper Hertel wrote:What do you think is problematic about it?
Jesper Hertel wrote:And which are the others?
I think we're getting a lot OT. We can continue this conversation via email, if you want (my address is ether [at] tiscali [dot] cz).
Ελληνικά rulez.
Jesper Hertel

Post by Jesper Hertel »

ether wrote:
Jesper Hertel wrote:What do you think is problematic about it?
Jesper Hertel wrote:And which are the others?
I think we're getting a lot OT. We can continue this conversation via email, if you want (my address is ether [at] tiscali [dot] cz).
I'm puzzled - I am only trying to solve the exact problem of the topic, so I don't understand why we should be off topic here, even less a lot off topic. I am just trying to understand what software you thought was problematic regarding the freezes, and that could be interesting for others with the same problem, and even those from Altap trying to investigate it.
Ether

Post by Ether »

Jesper Hertel wrote:I'm puzzled - I am only trying to solve the exact problem of the topic, so I don't understand why we should be off topic here, even less a lot off topic. I am just trying to understand what software you thought was problematic regarding the freezes, and that could be interesting for others with the same problem, and even those from Altap trying to investigate it.
Well, as I said, it's no big deal - when I looked at the program's features I imaged that it could do some things in ways that could cause high CPU or IO usage (freezes) and not only in Salamander. Really, it's just a feeling. But if you want to be sure, try disabling various software like FARR (make sure it's not running, look in the Task Manager's Processes tab) and you'll see if the freezes go away. But do it only after you obtain the required Bug Report and other things Jan wants - that has higher priority. That's why I didn't want to continue this discussion in this thread.
Ελληνικά rulez.
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

It would be interesting to use AS 2.51 besides 2.52b1 for some time and find out if the problem is really related only to 2.52b1.
Jesper Hertel

Post by Jesper Hertel »

ether wrote:Well, as I said, it's no big deal - when I looked at the program's features I imaged that it could do some things in ways that could cause high CPU or IO usage (freezes) and not only in Salamander. Really, it's just a feeling. But if you want to be sure, try disabling various software like FARR (make sure it's not running, look in the Task Manager's Processes tab) and you'll see if the freezes go away. But do it only after you obtain the required Bug Report and other things Jan wants - that has higher priority. That's why I didn't want to continue this discussion in this thread.
Okay, thanks, now I understand :-). You may be right, as it is a bit difficult for me to investigate such relatively short freezes of a few seconds and be completely sure of my observations.
Jesper Hertel

Post by Jesper Hertel »

Jan Rysavy wrote:It would be interesting to use AS 2.51 besides 2.52b1 for some time and find out if the problem is really related only to 2.52b1.
Good idea. I think I will simply revert to using 2.51 for a while and see if the problem disappears.