Is Salamander 2.52 beta 1 slower than 2.51?

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
Jesper Hertel

Post by Jesper Hertel »

Okay, now I can see that something is wrong with my whole system. I get lags when there should be none, also when Salamander is not running.

So Salamander is maybe just being affected by the general lags/pauses in my system. That's my best guess right now.

Jesper
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Great news for us, bad for you :)

Thank you for the information!
Jesper Hertel

Post by Jesper Hertel »

You're welcome, and sorry for the (probably) false alarm!
Jesper Hertel

Post by Jesper Hertel »

The problem may be have been related to the software Direct Folders that I had installed. I noticed that it could take the operating system a couple of seconds just to open a file, even when it was doing nothing else at the moment. After uninstalling Direct Folders this problem was gone and files opened immediately.
hrc
Translator
Translator

Problem disappeared?

Post by hrc »

The only delay I've noticed is when deleting files. I am used to hit the del- and enter-key almost simultaneously. I can't anymore. The confirmation-form just closes.
BTW. I'm not on Vista yet (why should I?). The good ol' XP Pro works like a charm.
Go home Total Commander!
Jesper Hertel

Post by Jesper Hertel »

I have noticed that even Windows Explorer has big difficulties just listing files on my computer. It seems to be the reading of icons that takes a very long time (it reads about 5 icons per seconds when listing files in a folder where the icons are not cached). Maybe it is the same problem I have experienced in Salamander. The speed problem is still there. I believe it must be a problem in my system (Windows Vista) and not Salamander.

I use Vista because my laptop came with Vista installed and there were no options to select XP instead. The machine is - apart from this - running surprisingly smoothly and speedy, even with Vista Aero turned on. Of course I immediately turned User Account Control off when I got the computer, otherwise Vista is waaaay too annoying. :-)
hrc
Translator
Translator

Deleting files continued...

Post by hrc »

Copied 1000 files to a new directory, selected some and hit the <del> and <enter> almost simultaneously. The first time the confirmation dialog just closed whereas it worked perfectly thereafter. Restarted the Salamander but no change. When first the icons are cached it can't be stressed. That first strike flaw is a bit irritating; the older versions don't have it.
Go home Total Commander!
antp

Re: Problem disappeared?

Post by antp »

hrc wrote:The only delay I've noticed is when deleting files. I am used to hit the del- and enter-key almost simultaneously. I can't anymore. The confirmation-form just closes.
BTW. I'm not on Vista yet (why should I?). The good ol' XP Pro works like a charm.
I have such "problem" too, but I already had that with previous Salamander, I guessed it was caused by Vista since it appeared when I moved from XP to Vista at work (I have no choice :() and then later at home (ditto). So I learned to wait 1 second before hitting Enter :D
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Re: Is Salamander 2.52 beta 1 slower than 2.51?

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Note: same problem reported here: http://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3693