Find Files/Search doesn't work anymore (Error: Restrictions)

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
max

Find Files/Search doesn't work anymore (Error: Restrictions)

Post by max »

If I hit the search Button or ALT-F7 i get the following warning message:
Restrictions
This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your sytem administrator.
Until a week ago Salamander worked fine. Than I thougt an update from 2.5b10 to 11 would do but it didn't work.
Even the reinstallation and wiping of the registry for altap and servant didnt do it. So which windows services are required and which rights do i have to grant. The search function also doesnt run on an admin account.

system: winxp sp2
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

I suppose Windows Start > Search > For Files and Folders... is disabled too?

In the Registry
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
change the key NoFind from 1 to 0.

Servant Salamander 2.5 uses these Windows Explorer policies. I have no idea what changed your Registry settings. Try to remeber what software have you installed recently.
max

Post by max »

have found that I caused it myself. I wanted to get rid of the search button in the start menu cause i relied on the advanced features of salamander. Wasnt aware that the menu entry also disables search at all.

Thanks a lot.
Mem

Post by Mem »

Jan Rysavy wrote:I suppose Windows Start > Search > For Files and Folders... is disabled too?

In the Registry
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
change the key NoFind from 1 to 0.

Servant Salamander 2.5 uses these Windows Explorer policies. I have no idea what changed your Registry settings. Try to remeber what software have you installed recently.
I have encountered the very same problem, and that's why I used Total Commander when I need to find something, which was pretty annoying :-/ - what about changing this behaviour in SS as TC does not care, or enable some setting for it? (And anyway thanks for the registry tip, no more need of TC ;-))
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Mem wrote:what about changing this behaviour in SS as TC does not care, or enable some setting for it?
Servant Salamander respects system policies such as NoDrives, NoFind, NoNetHood, NoNetConnectDisconnect, etc. You can modify these settings in Windows Registry (if you have permissions to do so).
Mem

Post by Mem »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Servant Salamander respects system policies such as NoDrives, NoFind, NoNetHood, NoNetConnectDisconnect, etc. You can modify these settings in Windows Registry (if you have permissions to do so).
OK, but user first must know what is the problem (is it at least possible to improve the error message with some information of this kind?). I have administrator rights on my PC but was not aware of this (that hiding Search in Start menu can affect this).
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Mem wrote:improve the error message with some information of this kind
Good idea, thank you. We should cover this problem in documentation and extend the error message. Added to our to-do list.
Knebel

Post by Knebel »

Hello
I have the same Problem
In the Registry the Word NoFind is set to 0

Using Start > Search > For Files and Folders works fine.

Any Other ideas what the problem could be ?
Klaus
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

If this doesn't help you, also set

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoShellSearchButton to 0.
Knebel

Post by Knebel »

Ok.
That solved the problem.
Thanks a lot
Klaus