File Association Problem

Discussion of bugs and problems found in Altap Salamander. In your reports, please be as descriptive as possible, and report one incident per report. Do not post crash reports here, send us the generated bug report by email instead, please.
MrBill

File Association Problem

Post by MrBill »

Hello,

I am a registered user of Salamander and am now running version 2.51. Suddenly, some of my file associations went away, most notably the JPG association. Interestingly enough, double clicking on the JPG file in Salamander caused the correct program (Irfanview) to run, but the icon is wrong. I clicked on Reread Associations and the icons became good. So I closed and restarted Salamander and the icons were gone again. This time I clicked on Reread Associations, then saved the configuration, but again the icons went away. This association works fine in Windows Explorer.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, MrBill
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

In a few days we will release Altap Salamander 2.52 beta 1. Could you please try to install it and let us know if the problem is fixed there?
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

Jan Rysavy wrote:In a few days we will release Altap Salamander 2.52 beta 1. Could you please try to install it and let us know if the problem is fixed there?
Sure, I'll report back in this thread how the new version works.

Will I get notification that the new beta version is ready? If not, when should I start checking your web page for the update?
Jan Rysavy
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Jan Rysavy »

Could you please add your email into Salamander user database? We will send information as soon as beta will be available.
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

Jan Rysavy wrote:Could you please add your email into Salamander user database?
Done!
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

I installed 2.52b1 and just finished about 5 minutes of testing. The problem is NOT solved, but it is a little better. To test I started up the program 10 times, running it in Administrative Mode on my Vista SP1 PC. The startup directories had only GIFs and JPG's in it. 8 of the times none of the icons were right, 2 times all the icons were right, and 1 time only the GIF files had the right icon. In all cases "Reread Associations" fixed the problem, but only for that session. Interestingly enough, even if the icons were wrong a double-click on the file brought up the correct program!

If you have any questions about my setup, please ask. I generally don't take part in beta testing, but will be glad to help with this problem if you wish to send me fixes.
jis

Post by jis »

Hello, I had similar file association / icon problems with AS 2.51 on WVHP SP1. I was silent, because I thought that it is known problem, so I waited for a new version. I'll test the new AS 2.52b1 in WVHP SP1 and I'll report back.
Last edited by jis on 04 Feb 2009, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Altap Salamander fan since 1998
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

I have tried to reproduce this problem, so I have installed latest IrfanView, but all works perfectly here on my Vista computer. Please let me know if someone else has the same problem, I just want to know if this is some anomaly or frequent problem. Thanks!

Well, I have prepared test version and send it to MrBill by email. Thanks for testing! And in case that you MrBill do not receive my email, please send me email from another email account. ;-)
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

Petr Solin wrote:Well, I have prepared test version and send it to MrBill by email. Thanks for testing! And in case that you MrBill do not receive my email, please send me email from another email account.
Hello Petr,

I got your E-mail and have tested as you asked. 3 screen captures (JPG) and the error log file have been sent back to you. Good luck!
jis

Post by jis »

Even the latest AS version 2.52b1 has sometimes problem with showing the right icons in WVHP SP1 - see missing mpg icons in the detail view (the first snapshot):
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

And is this problem permanent or when you run Salamander next time, mpg icons are OK? Or when you use Reread Associations command?
jis

Post by jis »

It seems to me that AS problem with showing the right icons in WVHP SP1 is random.

Icons after first start of AS:

Icons after next start of AS:

Icons after rereading of associations in command menu od AS:

Icons after third start of AS:

Icons in windows Explorer are without any problems:
Petr Solin
ALTAP Staff
ALTAP Staff

Post by Petr Solin »

Problem reported by MrBill has been fixed, thanks for testing MrBill and jis! Patch will be available in 2.52 beta 2.